• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got any reeded edge 20-cent pieces?

8 posts in this topic

I came across this interesting letter the other day, but have not found the reply from San Francisco. Other document show that both Carson and San Francisco Mints had questions about the 20-cent edge: reeded or plain. Did Dir. Linderman find an authentic 1875 RE 20-cent or had someone added reeds to a normal plain edge coin?

310048572_18770302SFReedededge20-centpiece-1875.thumb.jpg.30db3a74caf01bc08c90d6e4664dd2d3.jpg

On 11/18/2021 at 11:34 AM, RWB said:

I came across this interesting letter the other day, but have not found the reply from San Francisco. Other document show that both Carson and San Francisco Mints had questions about the 20-cent edge: reeded or plain. Did Dir. Linderman find an authentic 1875 RE 20-cent or had someone added reeds to a normal plain edge coin?

310048572_18770302SFReedededge20-centpiece-1875.thumb.jpg.30db3a74caf01bc08c90d6e4664dd2d3.jpg

...the latter....none were struck with reeded edges, nor were any of the various patterns made with reeded edges...even if a 20c coin were struck on a 25c planchet no reeding would exist since a non-reeded collar was used....having stated all that, there is an 1875 20c coin certified n in a slabbed holder with a reeded edge...however the reeding is post mint production, somehow this escaped the certification n reviewing personnel?....

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A 20-cent piece could not be struck on a quarter dollar planchet at all, because it wouldn't fit inside the smaller coin's collar.

On 11/19/2021 at 6:17 AM, DWLange said:

A 20-cent piece could not be struck on a quarter dollar planchet at all, because it wouldn't fit inside the smaller coin's collar.

I have shirts with exactly that problem.

On 11/19/2021 at 7:17 AM, DWLange said:

Correct. A 20-cent could be struck within a 25-cent collar, but the reeds might be noticeably weak and the coin a little too large in diameter.

Hopefully, I can locate the reply and possibly other materials.

(NARA has placed such unfriendly requirements on users that accomplishing anything meaningful is very difficult.)

On 11/18/2021 at 3:59 PM, VKurtB said:

Wait, Ratzie or Slick will find one. They always do. Courtesy of the "Alibaba Mint".

Indeed they will, Kurt, indeed they will.  But it could be from the "Etsy Mint" as well.  I'm guessing that both of those esteemed numismatists are big customers of both the Alibaba and Etsy Mints.  And who knows?  Maybe it'll be an SMS 20 cent piece as well.  

Edited by Mohawk

Yes I have seen twenty cent pieces with reeded edges, but they were reeded post mint to try and get them to pass as quarters.  A couple even had the denomination effaced on the reverse to try and help with the deception.  The twenty cent and quarter were very close in size and obverse design so passing a twenty cent as a quarter was probably a distinct possibility.  Reeding the edge would make it even not likely.