• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s up with Talers
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I am not a collector of such material so hopefully one of the fellas that collect ancients will be able to chime in on this subject.   Can you expound on what you mean by "What’s up with the huge, large denomination Talers?"

@Taler Tales I collect German state coinage as well thalers are interesting large Coins with beautiful designs on them it’s all about silver contents in the coins some German state areas were wealthier than others at the time they were able to make larger types of thalers. Here’s an interesting article about thalers 

https://www.money.org/ana-blog/thalers

@Taler TalesI came back because I forgotten to mention when it comes to Thaler coinage they were like a very large silver dollar at that time mostly probably circulated among the richer people back then since the poorer were not able to obtain a Thaler . I’m sure you might know the difference between a “duchy” was state that formed a allegiance with larger kingdom together . As “Grand duchy” was a state that was ruled and more independent on its own . They all had different thalers at that time with different denomination based on their wealth within their respective states at that time before they all became a larger kingdom which enter the “German empire era” only one Grand dutchy remains today that is Luxembourg 

On 11/2/2021 at 6:51 AM, Jason Abshier said:

@Taler TalesI came back because I forgotten to mention when it comes to Thaler coinage they were like a very large silver dollar at that time mostly probably circulated among the richer people back then since the poorer were not able to obtain a Thaler . I’m sure you might know the difference between a “duchy” was state that formed a allegiance with larger kingdom together . As “Grand duchy” was a state that was ruled and more independent on its own . They all had different thalers at that time with different denomination based on their wealth within their respective states at that time before they all became a larger kingdom which enter the “German empire era” only one Grand dutchy remains today that is Luxembourg 

...well said....u got to hand it to the luxembourgers with their luxembourgish, they have staying power,historically since mid-900s, as a duchy 200+ years n still going strong not bad for a representative democracy less than 1000 sq miles n a per capita 3 times that of the US...numismatically diverse; french, netherlands, prussian, german, belgium, eu...smorgabord of currencies there.....those large thalers definitely interesting, each has its own story.....

...maybe u could get their court of justice for eu to take on Quintas's case to obtain his ms68 roosters?....just a thought...

On 11/2/2021 at 1:06 PM, zadok said:

...maybe u could get their court of justice for eu to take on Quintas's case to obtain his ms68 roosters?....just a thought...

All jokes aside, it was WinNumis SA based in Luxembourg that sold a rare French Piedfort Essai 1899 🐓 (first year of issue) graded SP-63 for $13,440. + shipping, about 3 years ago.  The two MS-68's were crossed successfully by NGC but their whereabouts remain unknown and as one who guards his privacy zealously, I am sure you would understand 😉 why I am constrained to making my wants known and sitting and waiting like everyone else.

To the OP: I am going to check the auction catalogues I get from overseas for thalers and if I see anything of interest I will be happy to let you know.    🐓