• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corrosive Matter On Coins

7 posts in this topic

I found this coin in some change I had, disappointed that it looked like this. It’s not in the best shape, could have been in a little better shape if it didn’t have that black junk on it. Is there a certain term or name for it?  

19055F77-84AD-4D59-8567-D5954DD086D6.jpeg

D3828B0A-9847-475A-A0E4-05FAC70BC3DB.jpeg

C4A774B5-6F5A-44A5-BD98-7046807FCBF6.jpeg

When less terminal than this, this stuff is often called verdegris. This shows a badly advanced case that has gone beyond verdegris, all the way to horrible corrosion. All that is unless it might be something added on, such as solder. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/25/2021 at 10:16 PM, Belita Lom said:

Should I just add this coin to my change jar, or is there a way to remove it without damaging the coin any more? Not that is worth anything but it is an S coin. 

You might learn some stuff by experimenting, but I don’t believe much will touch it.

Since the coin is only worth about a nickel even without the gunk, using it as a learning tool is not a bad idea. I would give it a short soak in acetone, and see if that loosened or dissolved any of the stuff. If so, a longer soak plus a rinse or two might improve it. If that doesn't help, I would drop it in some mineral oil or olive oil, cover it up, and let it soak for several months. Then, pick a large thorn off a rose bush, and see if you can get some of the crud to come off that way.

You might even want to try some different liquids to soak it in. Water, alcohol, mineral spirits, kerosene - who knows what you might discover. Even if you discolor or darkly tone it, you are still out only five cents, and you can always spend it.

Looks like I’m going to see what works best on trying to get that stuff off, with the least amount of ware on it. I have other coins with that gunk on it, so I can try a few different things. This will be helpful in the end, I hope. Will use some of the items you mentioned Just Bob. Thank you for the Ideas.