• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie for kids
1 1

4 posts in this topic

The best thing would be a local coin club with a strong YN program. That's often not the case. Too many coin clubs should be called The Grumpy Old Men Coin Club. The only way to take their temperatures is by visiting a meeting. There should be more than one in your region, given its population level. You'll pretty much know the minute the meeting comes to order; either there will be at least a few women and children, or not. If there aren't, it'll probably because they didn't feel welcome.

If you want an example of how it's done right, one of our key board members is a woman who has revitalized much about our public presentation and is fantastic at marshaling volunteers; when I first joined, a YN was an elected officer; we have YN presentations and free coins every meeting; I have often seen women with several children, and they are always welcomed and chatted with, with small kids' squirminess not incurring grumpy looks. I'm in charge of dealer check-in and general dealer setup troubleshooting at our coin show, and my crew is the aforementioned lady, a YN, and his father. They were all with me last year and they all want to do it again. That's how you tell a club that's good for young numismatists: it has something to offer them besides sitting through an hour of insider-speak.

Jonathan has this dead on, Chris.  I'd start looking at your local coin clubs....that's the best course of action.  I wish you the best.  I have two coin clubs near me I've gone to....one is a bunch of grumpy old men who only collect U.S. coins and one is a bunch of nicer old men who only collect U.S. coins.  If you see something like this with your grandson, turn around and run!!! Neither of those would be a good environment for a YN to grow and thrive.  I'd follow Jonathan's advice to the letter on this one.....the last thing any of us want to see is a bunch of grumpy old men ruining the hobby for a YN forever.  

Good luck!

Thank you Gentlemen,

My experience is very similar except in the Plastic Model Societies (IPMS).  The biggest problem in getting kids interested in anything these days is parent (who provide the transportation) involvement.  The kids don't feel welcome as the parents are not encouraging.  We have the same issues with our Children's Ministries as well.  Parents don't want to take the time.  Lots of excuses like, bed time, school work, sports, too tired after a hard day of sitting in a chair.

Frankly, a lot of the grumpy old guys (in model building) want to show off their skills - not teach.  Many want the accolades of their peers.  Kids are not peers.  We just had a model Club die out - literallyThere is no next generation.

OK... with that said, who do I contact to start a NEW Nubie Chat/page for kids on NGC?  Anyone know?  Parental safeguard must be included of course...  I think I can do this.

God bless,

Chris