• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help determining is this 1803 Bust is the real deal
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

My grandmother recently passed and Among her stuff I found an 1803 Liberty Bust Large Cent. I Did a Ping a test and it rings like a bell with a medium to long chime.  But when I scale it, the weight is only 20.2 Grams. Can someone please Help me Identify if this is the real deal.

bust sdoo sad (2).jpg

bust back (2).jpg

Edited by NGodEyeTrust

On 10/21/2021 at 10:05 PM, Just Bob said:

Well, it isn't a large cent, and it isn't real.

Ty for the timely response Bob,

This is very unfortunate, is there anyways u can give me pointers on how'd you were able to tell was it the weight i posted,  color  stars. Very Keen to learn more about this unfortunate but necessary lesson. Any tips you give me will be very much appreciated and very much a stepping stone to point me me in the right direction, Thank You

As a rule, we on this forum do not give specific reasons why a coin is not genuine. Some of us are convinced that counterfeiters read these boards, or even post fake coins on here, in order to get pointers on how to improve their craft. 

Although you did not give the diameter of your coin, I assume, by the weight, that it is a fake dollar. Searching images of genuine dollars minted between 1798 - 1804, and comparing your coin to pictures of genuine examples, should prove to you beyond any doubt that your piece is counterfeit.

Absolutely understand,. ty ill definitely keep my eye out for the real deal now since I came across that coin I definitely took and interest to Bust. Thanks again for the advice and it is greatly appreciated . In the future now if I have second Guest about a certain coin authenticity, more than likely it's faked. 

I hope blessings and Prosperity to you and your family.

Thank you, for the help, Bad news or good news was still great news. Really needed to know before I submitted this coin to NGC.

<-------Crying as I Take this lonely Walk  as I Listen the mother BUST ring her Bell saying, Shame... Shame.... Shame>>>