• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1889 Morgan

8 posts in this topic

This one would be pretty nice if it wernt for the scratch on the obverse side but its still a nice coin. I thought/hoped this would reach the MS rankings despite the scratch, maybe even a 63 but with my lack of experience grading coins I just dont know. So tell me what yall think!!

Thank You, Mike

P.S. It wouldnt allow me to post all 4 pics so ill do obverse in this post with reverse in the following.

Edit; Ignore my scratch talk. Its on another coin. My bad

1889 Front W.jpg

1889 Front B.jpg

Edited by Mikhail2400

Hi Mike!!!

In looking at your photos and thinking about it for a bit, I'm thinking AU 55 on this one. It looks like she's got some slight wear on the high points of the design on both sides.  Still a nice coin though!

~Tom

Sometimes called a "slider" - lots of scratches and rum bumps. Not worth slabbing. Would look OK in an "EF-AU" grouping.

Thanks guys, when I was typing the message for this thread I had a completely different coin in mind, hence the scratch remark. So when I posted the thread and looked at the pictures I realized i had screwed up but I figured hey its up now so I may as well run with it.

As for the grading of this coin yall are right of course. While Libertys hair is pretty nice it doesnt make up for all the imperfections in other spots and with the wear on the eagles chest standing out its not a MS coin. Its still a nice coin though and since I got it as part of my dads old stuff ill keep it.

On 10/8/2021 at 7:50 PM, Mikhail2400 said:

Its still a nice coin though and since I got it as part of my dads old stuff ill keep it.

And that's the important part.  One of the few U.S. coins that I consider part of my collection is a 2020-W Salt River Bay Quarter.  I'll never part with it because my Dad found it in his Laundromat money and he gave it to me.  It's a gift from my Dad, so that coin is very special to me.

On 10/8/2021 at 7:56 PM, Mohawk said:

2020-W Salt River Bay Quarter

Yeah I wouldnt sell any of Dads coins, even the ones that are so worn they basically have no monetary value.

I found a 2019 W American Memorial Park today. The W mint mark surprised me as I hadnt seen one before so I figured I would look it up and until then I didnt hadnt realized the West Point coins were so valuable 

On 10/8/2021 at 8:09 PM, Mikhail2400 said:

I found a 2019 W American Memorial Park today. The W mint mark surprised me as I hadnt seen one before so I figured I would look it up and until then I didnt hadnt realized the West Point coins were so valuable 

That's a nice find!!! I've found a few W's.  I found the 2019 War in the Pacific and the Wilderness of No Return and the 2020 Weir Farm and Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller.  The War in the Pacific one has a special meaning to me as well and I actually like the design of the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller, so those are keepers for those reasons.  Not sure what will happen with the other two, if anything.  They were fun to find in my weekly laundry money, that's for sure!!