• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference between 2021 and 2021 (W) Eagle Type-2

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

Can someone inform me the difference between the two labels? I thought that a (W) means that there is no mintmark on the coin, yet both have "W" on them

Best regards,

Lawrence

eagle2021t2.thumb.jpg.1102761c66d88577d76a3b04633c9763.jpg

If you are referring to the “W” on the obverse, that is actually “AAW” and that is the initials of the original designer of the Walking Liberty half dollar (Adolph A. Weinman), which is also the same design on the ASE. It’s not a mintmark.

Edited by Lem E
Add

The 2021 S. Eagles minted at the West Point mint all have the W mint mark. Ive read that the bullion S. Eagles minted at the San Francisco mint do not have mint marks. I do not know if the San Francisco mint put out any proof coins but one article did state they only minted the type 2 coins there.

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/info-vault/articles/coin-mintage-charts/silver-eagles-mintage-chart.html

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I have will jump in here and if I made any mistakes correct them.

Mike

Edited by Mikhail2400

Hi, I’m kind of a newbie also, but with time comes knowledge.  I thought it had a double mint mark also for a while too.  I’m looking at my “2021 S Eagle S$1, Eagle Landing T-2, First Release” also.  That BIG “W” on the front/obverse side, right under the Motto IN GOD WE TRUST is actually the Designer’s Initials (Adolph A. Weinman).  So, it is NOT necessarily from West Point Mint.  The Reverse side indicates the mint.

I hate using Wikipedia as a resource, but sometimes it’s handy.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Silver_Eagle

Looking at Mint History: “From 1999 to 2000, they were produced at the Philadelphia Mint and West Point Mint.  In March 2011, the San Francisco Mint conducted trial strikes of bullion Silver Eagle coins in preparation for the resumption of full production later in the spring. The added production capacity provided by the San Francisco Mint supplements the output of the West Point Mint.”  No Mint mark CAN BE from West Point or San Francisco

So, back to your coin:  (W) indicates (please correct me if I’m wrong folks) No mintmark, but NGC confirmed it was produced at West Point.  On T-2 Eagles, a Mint Mark is back by the tail on the reverse side.  NGC uses a Parenthesis around the mint letter on the label, but that seems to me to indicate that there is no mint mark on the coin.  No Parenthesis on the mint mark of the label confirms the mint mark on the reverse side of the coin.

Hope it helps. 

God Bless, Chris

1.JPG.a893e1158395c63afd9f4e47ca87523d.JPG2.JPG.b4c97b8768099923a4529b5d87e3538b.JPG