• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Variety for Large 2 Small 2 in date
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Evening NGC Community,

Back again with another coin this is an 1852 1$ gold Liberty.   My question is there a variety for a Large/Small 2 in date.  I know this would most likely be a minor variety a d may not warrant it being recognized.  When you look at the 52 of the date in both coins you can see that it’s positioned differently on each coin and the large 2 is closer to the bottom of the neck/bust and there’s a much smaller gap and the 2 is much larger.  In the second one the 52 is positioned differently and there’s a much larger gap from the 2 to the bottom of the neck/bust and that the number 2 is much smaller. Also the bottom serif of both 2’s which I’m pointing out is the little leg pointing north at the tail end of the number.  The large 2 the tail almost breaks at a 90 degree angle before heading north and the small 2 the tail breaks at much less of an angle and is more gradual and symmetric to the bottom of the number.  
Any feedback, thoughts and expert advice on this would be greatly appreciated and if any further steps would need to be taken that information and advice would greatly help.

thanks again to everyone for there time and experience on these matters and I truly appreciate it.

6B1BCF32-307E-477C-B575-A50336ED9534.thumb.jpeg.cffd913d7f6bb7ba33511176905622f7.jpegD3C38311-18B4-4C0A-842D-588D9C55390B.thumb.jpeg.1c5be9dd27d60756f4c5248b50f83dc4.jpeg 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The same date punch was used for each coin. Its position varies routinely, due to hand punching with the use of a jig. The apparent size varies with the depth to which the numerals were punched initially and with how much the die was polished subsequently. A repolishing of the die can diminish the size of the numerals and make them seem to be further apart.

On 9/28/2021 at 6:56 PM, 6+ Collection said:

Evening NGC Community,

Back again with another coin this is an 1852 1$ gold Liberty.

:gossip: It's not a $1. Looks like a quarter eagle.

The face of a letter or number punch is slightly smaller than the back - the sides of the letter are tapered. This allows the punch to release from the die. It also allows the coin to release from the die after striking.

To all commentators:

I am aware the OP has been here barely a week -- WELCOME TO THE FORUM! -- but his ease in using numismatic terms, and interest in uncommon coins, bespeaks a familiarity and knowledge of coins going back some time.

Without benefit of a reverse photo Just Bob, an observant member and always exceedingly polite, raises a critical question that throws a monkey wrench in the works: is it, or is it not, quarter- or full-eagle???    🐓