• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion: Mint Box or NGC Graded?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've received some coins lately in US Mint boxes.  

• 1986 Ellis Island Set (Liberty Half Dollar (not silver), and Liberty Dollar [.77 silver])
  • 2020 W Burnished Silver Eagle
  • 2020 W Silver Eagle, WWII Privy 'V75'  Proof (so pretty it almost glows in the dark!)

So here is the question: Is it better to keep them in boxes/capsules or send them in to be graded?  I know this is NGC - but which do you think would hold or increase value in ... maybe 10 years?

Opinions appreciated.

God Bless,

Chris

I personally would leave them as is. 
For me I  just buy an already slabbed coin. There’s no guarantee of grade so if I wasn’t sure I would buy a 69   No guessing no disappointment. Getting a 70 is a shoot. 
Now I am a collector only so those who buy and sell will weight in on that. Welcome aboard and buy what you like and you will be a lot happier 

Leave'em, if they don't grade 70 you'll loose money on everyone of them and you don't have multiples to offset a low grade. If your planning on selling anyway and can make money now I'd sell now, unless you think precious metals are going to climb in the future. 

I like them both ways but the ones I like best are graded. Your 2020 W V75 is selling on EBay for 3-400 ngc price guide shies 650 for pf70 and 565 for pf69

so if you are looking at them as an investment, (not always a good choice), or if you are wanting them to keep display or pass on to loved ones. Leave them as is because you’ll basically spending money for not much value add. If investment, then do  so if the coin values more than $150

imho.

On 9/11/2021 at 2:45 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

On ebay, PF69 (PCGS & NGC) are going for under $400 (closer to $350).

I have seen that also. I’m thinking during all the up coming craziness with the Mint. I just might slide in and get a 69 WW2 ase privy for $250 or less catch the right auction at the right time or make offer for someone selling to cover the mint mess. I ll post it if it should happen 🤓🙀

I did get one at release and kept it original mint packaging 

Edited by James Zyskowski

I'd just leave them as is, Chris, unless you have plans to sell that V75 Privy Mark ASE fairly soon.  If they're for your own personal collection to keep, then definitely keep them as is.  I see no real reason to slab them if they're for your own personal collection.  

Hi again,

Thank you all for your valued input.  I'll leave them in the containers they came in.  As with other collectables, the original box often adds value.  These coins are for my G-Kids or family as needed.  I'm hoping they will be worth something in the next 20 years or so.  You guys are awesome.  Thank you.

Chris

On 9/12/2021 at 8:55 PM, Chris Mikesh said:

Hi again,

Thank you all for your valued input.  I'll leave them in the containers they came in.  As with other collectables, the original box often adds value.  These coins are for my G-Kids or family as needed.  I'm hoping they will be worth something in the next 20 years or so.  You guys are awesome.  Thank you.

Chris

They will be worth the memories of you,your interest in the hobby your love of family and as well as the precious metal content. If you pick wisely perhaps some winners like the WW2 ase privy or others. Just what you have is a start. Now you have us to help with any questions. 
Many here have the next generation on their minds. The future of the hobby. Thanks 🙏 

Leave in Original Government Packaging. Forget the slabs (he says on the slab company’s discussion board website). Now if ever the packaging gets grossly crummy, that advice changes. 

Hi VKurtB,

I will be following that suggestion.  Years past, I was a collector and vendor of hard to find plastic model kits.  Box art is everything, because it decays and gets 'crummy' like you said.  Plastic models are a similar Collector Market where quality and condition is paramount. So just for grins - and I don't want to dwell on the model (it is off topic - but just a collectors comparison), this model (1955) is considered a 'Good' or better.  The damage to the box at the bottom right is like teeth marks in a gold Liberty $20.  I'm sure there is other damage in some fashion we don't see.  

So to compare, my Mint boxes are not damaged or dog-eared.  Granted, the box is nothing compared to the silver.  Silver is a forever investment, and plastic models are decaying and there is no follow on market.  I sold my entire business years ago in plastics - did well too.  Now the buyer is stuck with 1200 boxes of recyclable plastic. - not my problem.  LOL!

s-l640.jpg

For another fun exercise. Go on eBay and look at all these the OGP there is for sale. Lots. Seems like some want original packaging with their slab. Or get a coin raw. There’s all kinds for different types 

8EEB8178-9F49-4214-8AD5-2A54170753D1.png

CA569226-5B16-4547-BA85-357E03F3D9F5.png

Apmex has a number of single and multi coin OGP ase quality not cardboard. Think 2012-2013 2-coin OGP ase sets Solid display holder. 

Edited by James Zyskowski