• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion on 1837 Seated Liberty Half
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Asking for my friend.I feel this may squeak into the EF range due to the clear LIBERTY and some hair details 

reverse still has some good lines but wanted to give him a sense of value on this increasingly rare half. TIA

0D688F96-D74B-4017-A38E-D2B0E2ED1F98.jpeg

947E1911-5F06-4564-816C-256E5B8A468B.jpeg

The only thing squeaking is my ears! Ok I get it. Just don’t know much yet but I’m trying !

On 9/9/2021 at 11:43 AM, JKK said:

To think, even suggest, even to imagine that such a coin might ring the bell for EF would tell me that someone needs to review a grading guide, and has never yet done so. I think that's politer than suggesting a trip to the optometrist or abstaining from certain forms of self-medication.

An EF coin has very light wear. This is worn clear through the design in many places.

An EF coin typically has a little residual mint luster. This bustie long ago forgot what mint luster felt like.

An EF coin doesn't have a big freaking gouge in the back. While it is possible, at least in theory, that this was a mint error, the plug visible on front of a near-circular hole suggests to me a bad drill job and a refilling.

An EF coin has sharp details. This one is lucky to have any details at all. Most are flat and some letters are missing.

An EF coin lacks edge dings. This one has several.

On the positive side, the photos are sharp enough to tell us all that. They are correctly oriented, well cropped, and eminently clear. I like busties and hate to see one suffer as this one has, but we get what we get.

AG-3, holed and filled. I actually had to pull out my ANA guide to assess whether it could meet the AG criteria; next step down would be FA-2. I don't think one could make an argument for that.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:08 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Would it compare somewhat to this one on EBay?

From a strict detail standpoint the one you show on ebay is close, however that seller is fishing for a sucker at a price of $300.   That coin is worth maybe $40 tops and the one you posted in your op is about half of this ebay dog due to the scratches and rim issues.   Ebay is a dumping ground for lots of problem/junk coins at massively inflated prices meant to be sold to the uninformed suckers.   You can find nice coins on ebay but you have to search thru lots and lots of garbage; like this item you posted; to find them.

Just a thought, you really need to be careful advising anyone about grades and values if you are not really good at grading and know the market.   You could end up giving some really bad advice through good intentions.

Advice taken. I just don’t see old suckers like this . The ones I do see or buy I don’t buy them for grading but variety. If I buy , it’s usually a graded coin or one directly from the Mint that I intend to grade. Like the 2021 W Eagle that I got in February, had it graded by NGC as MS70. I do appreciate your opinions JKK, JustBob, and Coinbuf. That’s really all I was trying to do for a friend.