• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mexico 5 centavos 1965 Copper-Nickel KM# 426a

14 posts in this topic

Can't determine anything from the photos. Need weight, edge photos, etc., etc. Specifications say brass, weight of 4 grams. Correcting for color balance also supports brass. How could this be mistaken for CuNi alloy?

Image1.jpg

Edited by RWB

On 9/7/2021 at 3:56 PM, kostj said:

The problem is the brass and copper-nickel coins have the same weight, diameter and edge.

They have a different color... CuNi will look like a 5-cent nickel coin in color. Also, the density will differ. The density of Cu 75 Ni 25 is 8.95; common brass, Cu 80 Zn 20 is 8.59 g/^3 cm.

Edited by RWB

Thanks. Your color correction is wrong. The coin looks the same as on the display i.e. look like a 5-cent nickel coin. CuNi and brass coins have weight 4 grams. Different catalogs specified diameter both coins 20.4 - 20.5 mm.
How can density be determined? 

A quick acid dip will turn many red copper coins to gray. Very possible that is what was done here. Look at the reverse of the last pic. There is some red creeping through.

On 9/7/2021 at 5:01 PM, kostj said:

Your color correction is wrong.

I assumed your background was off-white - or something similar. The color of the original image background is light blue.

You can find instructions for measuring the density ("specific gravity") on the internet.

[I absolutely, positively refuse to believe anyone of @gmarguli's stature would even entertain a thought involving an "acid dip," quick or not -- and coins.  Whomever hacked this long-standing, seasoned veteran's account owes him and the membership an apology!]

On 9/7/2021 at 11:25 PM, RWB said:

They have a different color... CuNi will look like a 5-cent nickel coin in color. Also, the density will differ. The density of Cu 75 Ni 25 is 8.95; common brass, Cu 80 Zn 20 is 8.59 g/^3 cm.

The difference in density is very small.
The density of 5 centavos 1965 Cu 75 Ni 25 is 8.92; brass, Cu 85 Zn 15 is 8.66 g/^3 cm.
The difference is near 0,01 g for coin. I don’t have such precise instruments. 

Check out comparative photos. 

IMG_2499b.jpg

IMG_2498b.jpg

According to NGC's World Coin Price Guide it is :

Specifications

Composition: Copper-Nickel

Diameter: 20.5mm

Design

Obverse: National arms, eagle left

Reverse: Bust right

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/mexico-estados-unidos-mexicanos-5-centavos-km-426a-1960-1965-cuid-1116306-duid-1427452

I think your best course of action would be an XRF gun test.  If its plated and the test doesn't penetrate the plating the nickel content will read way too high.  If it is coppernickel you should get a reading of 75% copper 25% nickel. If it is plated brass and it DOES penetrate the plating then the ratio of copper and nickel will be important and whether or not there is zinc present and if so how much. 

You can always revert to “The Beginner’s Gambit”; insist that yours is the more valuable version and grow ever more insistent over time. It’s an old approach, but a classic.