• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 PF or SMS Jefferson Nickel?

13 posts in this topic

I'm new to coin collecting and game come across a Jefferson nickel that had me perplexed. How can you determine the 1964 SMS from the 1964 Proof Jefferson nickel? I've found one that is reflective throughout both the obverse and reverse. It has a sharp square edge rim, no frosting, no doubling, distinct features, and was found in circulation. It appears shinier than a satin finish but it's not mirror-like with frosted details.

Hello and Welcome to our little community, Terri Lynn!!

Yep.....definitely a proof.  The listing on our host's Coin Explorer page for the 1964 SP Kennedy Half Dollar does a great job of explaining what the 1964 "SMS" coins actually are and why it's pretty much impossible that you'd just come across one:

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/kennedy-half-dollars-1964-date-pscid-44/1964-50c-sp-coinid-76045

The story told there applies to all denominations of the 1964 SP coins, not just the half dollar.

Edited by Mohawk

No Special Mint Sets or individual coins were made in 1964. The link posted above is filled with assumptions, distortions, ignorance, and outright lies intended to deceive collectors.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:29 AM, RWB said:

No Special Mint Sets or individual coins were made in 1964. The link posted above is filled with assumptions, distortions, ignorance, and outright lies intended to deceive collectors.

Did you read the latest version? They’ve pulled back on the worst aspects of the old story.

For those who care to know --- the 1965 "Special Mint Sets" were just that: coins that were made for mint sets but using fresh die pairs to get a better impression, and handled a little more carefully than prior years. That is the only "special" part aside from the packaging. In 1964 and every other year before and after, new die pairs were regularly put in service as needed. The first few coins off a new pair would look exactly like a 1965 SMS coin, except it did not get special packaging or handling. The US Mint donated new coins to the Smithsonian, and these are hand picked coins, also off new die pairs. That is the real story. The rest on the internet and some "TPG" sites is false. The whole thing was cooked up to skim grossly exaggerated profit off ordinary 1964 coins.

Every coin series is always a mixture of these "first off the die" coins, ordinary production coins, and final coins off the dies before condemnation. (Some like to call them early, mid and late die states.) They will be found for every year, every mint and every denomination.

Edited by RWB

On 9/9/2021 at 8:57 PM, RWB said:

For those who care to know --- the 1965 "Special Mint Sets" were just that: coins that were made for mint sets but using fresh die pairs to get a better impression, and handled a little more carefully than prior years. That is the only "special" part aside from the packaging. In 1964 and every other year before and after, new die pairs were regularly put in service as needed. The first few coins off a new pair would look exactly like a 1965 SMS coin, except it did not get special packaging or handling. The US Mint donated new coins to the Smithsonian, and these are hand picked coins, also off new die pairs. That is the real story. The rest on the internet and some "TPG" sites is false. The whole thing was cooked up to skim grossly exaggerated profit off ordinary 1964 coins.

Every coin series is always a mixture of these "first off the die" coins, ordinary production coins, and final coins off the dies before condemnation. (Some like to call them early, mid and late die states.) They will be found for every year, every mint and every denomination.

Thanks for sharing that Roger......I really, honestly did not know that's how the story actually went.  I knew that the alleged "1964 SMS" coins were not that, but I think I was lacking on the actual details of it.  I also didn't know that was the story of the 1965 Special Mint Sets.  I apologize for posting that link with misinformation.....I thought it was accurate.  Thanks for setting me straight on that.  I always strive to be as accurate as I can be whenever I provide an answer or information regarding anything.  

Edited by Mohawk

Mohawk - You have no need to apologize for anything. You presented what you felt was good and useful information - that is what honest people do. :)

The travesty comes from the greedy SOBs who promote a falsehood. They have succeeding in building nothing but normal coinage into a distortion of truth for their own profit. That any "authoritative organization" would endorse this without extensive, careful research, is simply ineptness or possibly worse. Much the same applies to calling a coin "specimen" with no supporting data, I could go on, but will not. :(

I'll state as clearly as possible so that no one can misunderstand: No Special Mint Sets, or coins intended for such sets, were struck for 1964-dated U.S. coinage.