• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions wanted

11 posts in this topic

Any and all comments greatly appreciated. I also want to say thanks to everybody who posts here. The information I have found here has greatly increased my knowledge base and that of who knows how many others as well. 832142-IMG_0728_edited.JPG832143-IMG_0729_edited.JPG

OK---- This coin should never have been bought. It is a for silver value only dollar---a 10 dollar disaster waiting for someone to pay 50 bucks for it. Why? Look at the "horizontal scratches" all over the obverse. Look at the same stuff above and below the '"In God We Trust" and to the right of the tips of the arrows. When you see this kind of stuff on a coin----no matter its technical grade---"STAY AWAY FROM IT" like it has the plague. Coin has been abused by someone. Does not matter whether you call it a cleaning or a whizzing or a buffing or with jeweler"s cloth---it all comes down to the coin is RUINED as a Numismatic piece. Sure---it can be used as a hole filler. But that is all. Do not be fooled otherwise!! You young guys---get some books and "read" them. Learn----before you buy!!!!!! Get yourselves a decent Hastings Triplex Loupe [5 to 7 power]---costs 30-40 bucks. and "look for hairlines" BEFORE YOU BUY THE COIN". If the coin has hairlines, mostly that means trouble. Not always---but mostly stay away from it. Enough ranting today from me. Bob [supertooth]

I agree with Bob. If that coin grades MS anything, I would eat my hat. A slight bump on the cheek is okay, but this looks like someone whizzed it AND scratched some initials in it and then scratched them out. Also looks like someone put it on the floor and slipped on it. And that is just the obverse. The reverse looks whizzed.

This coin should be a sample for people to look at for what a whizzed coin looks like. Stay away from junk like this.

I don't think that the coin has been whizzed. It does have a few scratches that look like they were covering up something. If the coin had been whizzed you wouldn't see any scratches at all. I would grade the coin MS62 or so.

I will venture to say the coin slid across a table or something ruff giving it the scratches.. The coin is not wizzed or cleaned.... original but I still think AU

Looks like a problem coin to me. The parallel marks on the cheek might have been caused by sliding an album page out or by sliding the coin across a counter. However, the marks behind the portrait, which are much more random in orientation, appear to have been made individually and these are very distracting.

I think the marks on the cheek are roller marks.

But like Tom, I believe the scratches behind the portrait are damage.