• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do I get a coin already in a NGC certified conserved and reholdered?

2 posts in this topic

I asked this question on the NGC message board, and was told to post it here, so here it is...

First off, does NGC offer reholdering of coins?

If so, can an NGC coin in a holder be sent in for conservation to NCS and reholdered into a holder with the same grade, or would the coin need to be conserved and regraded?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

I will explain the process a coin already in an NGC holder goes through here at NCS. Hopefully this will answer any questions you might have.

An NGC holdered coin will be evaluated to determine if work is needed and would be an improvement. Your coin is also evaluated to try and determine if the same minimum grade will be maintained with conservation work. If work would be beneficial to your coin, it will then be broken out of the holder and taken to our lab to be worked upon.

After the conservation, your coin is then forwarded to NGC for a regrade. Frequently, conservation can take care of things that may or may not have affected the original grading of the coin. Most coins remain the same grade but are greatly improved in eye appeal. Unfortunately, however, there are times when conservation can reveal small problems such as hairline scratches that negatively affect grade. This downside possibility is why we offer grade protection.

After the grading and encapsualation process, you will receive your coin back from NGC.

This process is not limited to only NGC holdered coins. All coins that are submitted in any certification service's holder will go through the same process.

Chris, NCS Customer Service