• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2.50g Cents & 3.10g Cents
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Well the MINIMUM tolerance weight for a copper cent is 2.98 grams so I would say somewhere around 2.8  That would be about .2 grams out of spec heavy for a zinc, and about .2 grams out of spec low for a copper.

On 8/18/2021 at 6:34 PM, Coinbuf said:

When it weighs 3.11 grams on an accurate scale.

However, there are multitudes more 3.0 Cents than 3.11. I've seen 2.9g. That's the one I wish I had kept. I got a new scale AUGUST10TH2021 and have seen seen less than 5 one cent coins weighing 3.11g out of hundreds.

On 8/18/2021 at 7:23 PM, Conder101 said:

Well the MINIMUM tolerance weight for a copper cent is 2.98 grams so I would say somewhere around 2.8  That would be about .2 grams out of spec heavy for a zinc, and about .2 grams out of spec low for a copper.

Thank you Conder101. I'll expect additional input because I've got a 1990 N.M.M./No Mont Mark/Philly weighing in at 2.8g.

Cents are not weighed individually - the reported weight is an average. Only when the average is out of tolerance is a change made.

I think you are really asking: What are the weight ranges for a copper coated zinc cent, and 95% copper 5% zinc cent.

On 8/18/2021 at 7:44 PM, TheOhioPlayr~Stamps said:

. I'll expect additional input because I've got a 1990 N.M.M./No Mont Mark/Philly weighing in at 2.8g

In that case additional tests would bee needed, a specific gravity test would eaily determine which it is, on a test I don't usually recommend, a ring or "drop" test.  Sound tests are usually rather subjective, but the sound difference between a copper cent and the "Thud" of a zinc cent when dropped a couple of inches onto a hard surface tends to be very distinctive.  I don't usually recommend this test because of the subjectivity and because of the chance of the dropped coin being damaged.

Thank you. And this

On 8/18/2021 at 6:34 PM, Coinbuf said:

When it weighs 3.11 grams on an accurate scale.

Please share videos when you finds AnyAll cents that you encounters weighing 3.11g. Thank you for your free speech.

Hmm? That's interesting. This will be noted. Thank you Conder101.

On 8/18/2021 at 7:59 PM, RWB said:

Cents are not weighed individually - the reported weight is an average. Only when the average is out of tolerance is a change made.

I think you are really asking: What are the weight ranges for a copper coated zinc cent, and 95% copper 5% zinc cent.

YES-YES-YES!🤣/a "When Harry Met Sally" moment. That's exactly what I'm thinking. Thank you "RWB".

On 8/18/2021 at 11:50 PM, GBrad said:

Welcome to the forum Robert.  Have you calibrated your new scale? Does it weigh out to Hundredths such as 0.00?  The Lincoln Cent is one of the lightest coins the U.S. Mint ever produced.  In this day and time you will probably find MANY more Lincoln Cents weighing in the 2.4 to 2.7 range because of the new (since 1982) Zinc cored Lincoln Cents.  Those made prior to 1982 (and even some in 1982, which was the transitional year for the metal composition of the Lincoln Cent) will be made of predominantly copper which will weigh in the 3.11 gram range. It makes perfect sense that you have seen less than 5 pennies weighing 3.11 grams out of hundreds because copper Cents are a thing of the past, unfortunately.

Your 1990 Cent is not supposed to have a mint mark.  The only Lincoln Cent ever produced with a Philly (P) mint mark was in 2017. Your 1990 Cent is what is referred to as a Zincoln Cent because it is predominately made of zinc as explained above. Make sure your scale is calibrated correctly and then weigh your coins.  This is the best advice I can give.  

This scale calibrates on power cycle. But I'll have to do a manual calibration. So true that "small date & large date; zinc/2.50g & copper/3.11g" 1982 Cents are a phenomena, but are now in abundance. And the Philadelphia Mint does not mint Lincoln Cents. I do suspect at some point a P planchet may show on the Shield Cents?

Which transition 1982 cent would you say is the rarest?

On 8/18/2021 at 11:50 PM, GBrad said:

Your 1990 Cent is not supposed to have a mint mark.  The only Lincoln Cent ever produced with a Philly (P) mint mark was in 2017.

Sorry for the wording in my reply to your post as show above. I did not mean to confuse you. The Philly Mint HAS been producing Lincoln Cents since 1909. What I meant to say was that the only year that Philly placed a P mm on a Lincoln was in 2017 which is a Shied Cent. Any other Linc’s you come across without a mm were struck in Philly. Hope this clarifies things. 

On 8/20/2021 at 9:44 AM, TheOhioPlayr~Stamps said:

By far the most rare 1982 Lincoln Cent would be the Denver minted  SMALL date COPPER  Cent.  There were more changes made to the Cent in 1982 than at any other time in the history of this series.  Take some time to read up on the changes during this year. Way too much to explain here......(thumbsu

On 8/20/2021 at 9:44 AM, TheOhioPlayr~Stamps said:

Clearly the 1982 D small date copper.  There are only two specimens known so far.