• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than Ebay?

4 posts in this topic

At one time in the past, I could often find gems at Ebay for very low prices and picked them up. Then, for quite a while, people were paying quite a bit more than coins were worth, running up the bidding quite high, in my opinion. Now - not so much. In fact a complete set of 1999-2008 regular proof sets are now having problem pulling in $100, which after the original purchases, is ludicrous (at least to me). I'm also seeing about a 200-300 drop in return for the same set of SILVER Proof sets over what I saw just a short while before. 

Is there another place besides Ebay in which sellers realize more money with items sold than with Ebay?

I am a so-called dollar/medal collector. But I have seen a similar drop in pricing since the pandemic disrupted the economy. Prices can only be high if there are people earning enough money to have the disposal income to invest in a hobby.

On 8/17/2021 at 11:35 PM, David Wier said:

In fact a complete set of 1999-2008 regular proof sets are now having problem pulling in $100, which after the original purchases, is ludicrous (at least to me). I'm also seeing about a 200-300 drop in return for the same set of SILVER Proof sets over what I saw just a short while before. 

Most moderns from the U.S. mint don't do well over time, one of the reasons I don't really buy direct from the mint much anymore. The SDC's are a better indicator but a small piece of the pie, most other areas of coin collecting seem to be doing well from what I read and hear. If you're looking to sell proof sets from the aughts, good luck, ebay is just as good a place to sell them as anywhere else.  

eBay is far better than Etsy or coins R US.   Like anything else eBay changed but offered safety and selection with oversight. eBay all the way. Now it’s true that being retired I have the time to search and research but it’s way better than Uber-tube or such🤓

Now I have never sold anything on eBay but even that seems fairly good as a b&m store 40percent overhead 15 percent eBay and their customer base is worldwide 

Note:   Estimates only on selling costs for different kinds of sales platforms 

Edited by James Zyskowski