• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The dreaded dime "Is this an IA planchet" question...... but I've done some research. 2000 D Roosevelt Dime.

4 posts in this topic

Found this one in my buddy's spare change, same place I got lucky and found the 1942 LWC DDO FS-103.  I know improperly annealed planchets are difficult at best to discern at times.  I read some of Fred Weinberg's comments on other forums, some error-ref info., and a previous post by Karen Holcomb here on the NGC forum from back in 2018.  It seems that the consensus is that if the edge of the coin exhibits its true clad layers, and does not show any signs of ED on those layers meaning it doesn't appear to be the same coloration of the obverse or reverse surfaces, then there is a possibility it's a true IA (along with some other identifying criteria).  I've read they can come in numerous different color schemes depending on several  factors going on at the mint.  I don't have a scale of any sorts handy at the moment which would possibly help, still on vacation, but this one caught my eye enough that I thought I'd post it to see what ya'll think.  The reverse color is not quite as rose colored as it appears in the pic but it does have a slight rose tinge to it.  The obverse is pretty much spot on with its color in my pic and the edge is still nice and reeded for a 21 year old dime and clearly shows its clad layers.  I'm on the fence on this one and just not seeing that it is PMD. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.   

Meant to throw this link in here from another forum with some info from Fred Weinberg.  https://www.cointalk.com/threads/2017-d-new-jersey-ellis-island-improper-annealing.307775/71F929F6-A44A-4D3D-B5CE-8094EAA94EC5.jpeg

D5926668-6BC0-495C-B6DE-0B12CEEDE831.jpeg

640CFE52-DA43-487C-B881-8F3CEDA8606D_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by GBrad

Uhmmm... What are you doing with your hand in your buddy's pocket, fingering his coins...again ?  ;)

(As for the dime, incorrect annealing temperature/cool down affects all of the coin not just parts of it. After softening, the planchets are cleaned, removing all but the most severe discoloration from copper oxidation. The only consistent visible effect is a coin with reduced detail because the planchet is too hard.)

Edited by RWB

On 8/5/2021 at 2:40 PM, RWB said:

Uhmmm... What are you doing with your hand in your buddy's pocket, fingering his coins...again ?  ;)

(As for the dime, incorrect annealing temperature/cool down affects all of the coin not just parts of it. After softening, the planchets are cleaned, removing all but the most severe discoloration from copper oxidation. The only consistent visible effect is a coin with reduced detail because the planchet is too hard.)

I can assure you my hand was not in my 'buddy's' pocket 'fingering' anything! I was simply referring to the 42' LWC DDO FS-103 I found in my friend's truck console where he keeps all of his spare change.  Maybe you missed that post I created 2 days ago regarding FS-103.