• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Presentation Challenges with Banner / Set images in the New Registry. Feedback?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I was wanting and hoping to make a new Banner / Set image fo
r my 10G set that would take advantage of the effort and money / credit that when into getting all 8 of these reholdered in pretty, scratch-resistant holders that all have matching labels.

I had this idea, setting them up on little easels and having them on NGC coin boxes...

DSC_8583d.thumb.jpg.9fe01ce7b5d10890c69fa64331e9e55a.jpg

The problem I'm running into is how this actually looks on the site and how the ratio for the image is very different on the computer screen vs my phone.

What I see on the computer: 

Capture.thumb.JPG.b6fa63bf1c85451621c1569b70cc5ce1.JPG

What I see on my phone:

211676478_191436179504475_8800319129792217831_n.jpg.4712d3d389b3bb444870399a28c29d73.jpg

Having that Rank 1 banner almost perfectly covering one of the coins on my phone kinda kills me... All that empty space on the computer view also seems less than ideal... 

I'm wondering if I'd be better served by a more square image...

Nice slabs -- can't see anything meaningful of the coins. Which aspect is the most important to you?

12 minutes ago, RWB said:

Nice slabs -- can't see anything meaningful of the coins. Which aspect is the most important to you?

Well, my thinking had been to let the pictures on the individual coins do the heavy lifting on showing the coins and having the banner image show something about / of the set.

In the past I've just reused an image of the obverse of one coin for the banner image. I think that idea / approach works in some ways but I think it also makes the banner image about 1 coin and not the set / collection. 

Screenshot_20210712-123623_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210712-123659_Chrome.jpg

That ranking banner in the upper right corner is an image killer, I wouldn't mind seeing that moved above or to the side of the main set image.

I think my favorite solution so far has been to take the main design feature of the obv or rev and crop it out and increase the boarder around it, that way there is a central image that relates to the entire set and the ranking banner doesn't cover up anything or at least not as much and all the space is used or most of it anyway.

2016879561_Archangel4-Copy.png.bf84d36e13ef4837d785206d6bf8303d.png

1086351637_32522975_Medium-Copy-Copy.jpg.57c9635d34253fb70001061ab7df0e40.jpg

LOL, here's one where I added the privy marks that were available at the time. Had to put the moon on the left to avoid the banner.

1742462863_silver-kruger-front-Copy-Copy.jpg.502a89d7c94911a453b07e4076f4bbe4.jpg

4 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

That ranking banner in the upper right corner is an image killer, I wouldn't mind seeing that moved above or to the side of the main set image.

Yeah… I can't say I'm a fan of how that was implemented. I mean, I guess if you have occasion to complain about it you have a #1 ranked set, so maybe a good problem to have but that placement is a bit unfortunate. lol 

I may do something similar to that... I may steal Coinbuf's idea from his 1940 set and modify it to suit what I'd want for that set...

I guess I'll go for photoshopping and incorporate this image, which looks like it was at the same stage of life for the portrait they used for the coins. lol 

Oh... I love that beard, man.

King_William_III_of_the_Netherlands.jpg

6 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I guess I'll go for photoshopping and incorporate this image, which looks like it was at the same stage of life for the portrait they used for the coins. lol 

Oh... I love that beard, man.

King_William_III_of_the_Netherlands.jpg

Ha! That would be one way to go, really not a bad idea. I like it or something similar, castle, ship, map, etc.. to tell the story.

2 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Ha! That would be one way to go, really not a bad idea. I like it or something similar, castle, ship, map, etc.. to tell the story.

I think I'll go with this until and unless I have a better idea. An Obverse and a Km-105 (1875 only) reverse and a KM-106 (1876-1889) reverse using the 1888 to show the different privy mark for the new Mint Master that took over in 1888.

banner3.jpg

5 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Nice. :cool:

Gotta keep that upper right corner open for the 1st place banner. ;)

At least until someone takes it away from me. 😉

I think I got that pretty good. Looks great on my phone!

Screenshot_20210712-162457_Chrome.jpg

Suggest rotating the reverse photos so the shields are parallel to the frame edge. As it is, it looks awkward. To me, the banner looks too large for the portrait scale(s) --- could it be narrower and a little smaller?

Edited by RWB

13 minutes ago, RWB said:

Suggest rotating the reverse photos so the shields are parallel to the frame edge. As it is, it looks awkward. To me, the banner looks too large for the portrait scale(s) --- could it be narrower and a little smaller?

I don't know... call it a bit of "Dutch angle?" lol

I may go back and tweak the alignment on the reverses / think over some additional adjustments but I kinda like 2x3 ratios and the smaller portraits... but If I come up with something I like more... 🤷‍♂️ I do a lot of iteration.

Thanks for the input and pointing out the alignment 

Edited by Revenant

3 hours ago, RWB said:

I feel pretty good about this one. :)

Screenshot_20210712-200029_Chrome.jpg

7 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I feel pretty good about this one. :)

Screenshot_20210712-200029_Chrome.jpg

You should.  As a collector of foreign coins, I can relate to how difficult it can be to assemble a #1 ranked collection.  Good luck.