• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Proof sets
1 1

48 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, Oceanavekid@icloud.com said:

Good to know 

any tips to storing them so they stay in nice shape ?

Try to store them in a location in which you as a person would feel comfortable.  Not talking size here, just temperature and humidity. Also, avoid excessive exposure to bright light. Looking at them from time to time is fine, but sunlight is best avoided.

The so-called "tribute sets" are imitations worth only their metal content. They are made to sucker-in uninformed and gullible buyers. They are not coins - merely tokens. The word "COPY" makes them compliant with the Hobby Protection Act and keeps them from being counterfeit coins.

1 hour ago, RWB said:

The so-called "tribute sets" are imitations worth only their metal content. They are made to sucker-in uninformed and gullible buyers. They are not coins - merely tokens. The word "COPY" makes them compliant with the Hobby Protection Act and keeps them from being counterfeit coins.

Silver is silver 

mill take any coin that has silver in it 

1 hour ago, Oceanavekid@icloud.com said:

Silver is silver 

mill take any coin that has silver in it 

Yep. And the original buyer paid many times the value of the silver for these imitations. The same dollars spent on "junk silver coins" would have produced a far greater return.

19 minutes ago, RWB said:

Yep. And the original buyer paid many times the value of the silver for these imitations. The same dollars spent on "junk silver coins" would have produced a far greater return.

Good thing we have nothing into them 

Not planning on selling but if I did it’s all profit 

On 7/8/2021 at 10:26 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Never mind I been fooled 🤣 saw “copy” written on the coins 

What I would like to know is, on the continuum between genuine coins and tokens, where to "tributes" lie?  Or are they all in a class by themselves?  Enquiring minds...

5 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

What I would like to know is, on the continuum between genuine coins and tokens, where to "tributes" lie?  Or are they all in a class by themselves?  Enquiring minds...

Right on top of the tokens. Or maybe the “dumber than tokens” pile. 

Here is my “never fails” yardstick for such queries: How much other junk does the auctioneer have to add to such a lot to get even a single bid?

Edited by VKurtB

11 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Small medals or meaningless tokens. Not related to any business, industry or political movement, so I think of them as medals.

I’d classify them as Novelty type of a token since they have “copy” written on them more like play money token. I wouldn’t consider them a medal , as a medal was made as a commemorative  tribute to something like a war or important event that happened in history 

I thought about it some more it could also be our beloved government’s “counterfeit mint issue” when the mint was bored didn’t have much to do they decided to make a bunch of funny money copies for the collectors just joking around 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 7/13/2021 at 3:30 PM, Oceanavekid@icloud.com said:

Silver is silver

Yes, but often those "Tribute" sets are only silver plated.

On 7/15/2021 at 8:45 AM, Conder101 said:

Yes, but often those "Tribute" sets are only silver plated.

Faux silver is a poor way to pay tribute to a coin. That's why I champion the Intaglio Mint's approach to classic designs.  They execute them in 2-oz .999 fine silver coins.

On 7/15/2021 at 4:55 PM, Oceanavekid@icloud.com said:

The sets still go for $20+

For a double sawbuck, they need to go AWAY.

@VKurtB  Maybe that newly-released U.S. Air Force 2-1/2 oz. silver medal is up your alley. Measures 2" (50.80mm)  across and costs only $160.

On 7/15/2021 at 7:34 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@VKurtB  Maybe that newly-released U.S. Air Force 2-1/2 oz. silver medal is up your alley. Measures 2" (50.80mm)  across and costs only $160.

Thanks but no. I’m not into huge chunks of silver. Not my bag. I largely am not into medals per se, either. It has to speak to me on a personal level. Example: the Borinquineers (sp?) medal of a few years back. I wrote the text of the bill to rename a bridge in Reading, PA for those Puerto Rican military regiments. (At the direction of my Chairman.) I bought the 3-inch bronze of it and I keep it with a copy of the enacted bill signed by the Governor.

At one time I had complete sets from 1936-1950, except of course for the war years that did not have proofs (have sold all of them since).  I got all of them graded by NGC.  You would be surprised how much the high grades sell for!  Hang onto them and if you post some good pics on here you will get good advice!  Most of the later proof coin, 1950-1964 have to have some cameo attributes to be valuable, especially from 1952 on through 1964.  Post good pics and you will get good advice on here.  Even though I've been collecting since I was a kid (9 years old, 1959) I am an amateur compared to some of these folks!!

On 7/13/2021 at 11:21 AM, Oceanavekid@icloud.com said:

any tips to storing them so they stay in nice shape ?

Ideal temperature range is what your comfortable with in your house even if AC is running store them in like a bedroom closet will do ok , buy yourself plastic bin put all coins inside and throw silica gel packets or even a rechargeable 40gram metal silica gel can for safety measures (you can never use too much silica gel so a lot doesn’t hurt) . I keep a lot silica gel canisters in my collection even my slab boxes I put one inside each slab box it takes up a little room you’ll lose a few spaces in the slab box ,but it for safety measures (they should make a slab size silica gel canister that slips in the back of slab box for slab collectors)