• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd Color 1944 Wheat Cent
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Copper pennies tend to turn pink when cleaned.  At least from what I know.  Can a copper penny be cleaned to the point where it looks silverish?  I bought 5 wheat pennies today picking a box at a flea market and came across this 1944.  It doesn't look red, brown, or pink to me but doesn't seem light enough to be a steel cent.  I'd love to be wrong and don't have a local expert to run it by right now being the holiday weekend.  Any and all feedback welcome.

Pennies 1.jpg

Yes cents can indeed turn a grey or silver color, I have sitting on my desk a 1927 cent that is a beautiful MS grade coin with a lustrous silver color.   I'm not entirely certain that it is totally a natural color nor that this coin I have would (or yours) would not be considered as altered by a TPG, however I have seen several silver toned coins in TPG holders.  In fact now that I'm on the subject I have an SMS Lincoln that has some silver tone to it, it does not show as well in the photo as in hand but here is a photo.   Also if you look through sets of toned Lincolns you will see some that have some portion of the coin toned with a silver tone.

1966csms-obv2.jpg

Also in case your not aware your questions would be better suited to the US/World section of the forum; this NGC registry section of the forum is meant to be for questions or discussions that relate to the NGC registry. 

That's where I originally started out.  Will have to see if I have the ability to move this thread.  Thanks!

@Coinbuf  You're kidding me!  I have been strolling, surfing, trolling and lurking around conducting quality-control checks and never knew that!

At the very top of my wife's bottom-of-the-line, no-frills, knock-off cell is a an unambiguous pennant that crystal clearly reads:  "US, World, and Ancient Coins," directly above NGC's trademarked logo and Scales of Justice.

Respectfully submitted,

2 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

@Coinbuf  You're kidding me!  I have been strolling, surfing, trolling and lurking around conducting quality-control checks and never knew that!

At the very top of my wife's bottom-of-the-line, no-frills, knock-off cell is a an unambiguous pennant that crystal clearly reads:  "US, World, and Ancient Coins," directly above NGC's trademarked logo and Scales of Justice.

Respectfully submitted,

This thread was originally posted in the NGC registry section, I notified the mods and asked that it be relocated to the correct forum which they have done, hence you now see the thread in the US/World section as it should be.

Thanks!

As for the penny, someone bleached it or something.  Wasn't really expecting a '44 Steel but never saw a penny aside from one of those that wasn't either RD, BN or pink from cleaning.  Maybe it took an acid bath. 

👍 Great job!  Thanks!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
(No change: comment was for Coinbuff.

[Observation:  there are members I refer to as "mad scientists" in white lab coats who work tirelessly, around-the-clock to shed light on the possible causes of post-mintage damage [PMD]. There specimens are laudably of little or no value beyond face. Sometimes things go awry in which case they are honored in anonymity with a star for their contribution(s) to the hobby.]

Here is a better photo of the 1944.  It's the same coin but I placed it in an Air-Tite capsule since.

1944.jpg

Edited by MN1
Forgot to include the photo

On 8/9/2021 at 7:56 AM, MN1 said:

Better lighting, better angle and definitely cleaned.

my opinion is it is a chinese counterfeit n was meant to look that way....

On 8/9/2021 at 5:01 PM, zadok said:

my opinion is it is a chinese counterfeit n was meant to look that way....

I do not wish to offend the sensibilities of charter members of the anti-counterfeiting school of thought a number of whom lurk about the Forum but, regardless the circumstances, I feel sorry for the schlemiels and schlimazels who thought it was a good idea and even a profitable one to tamper with a ONE CENT piece from the United States in the midst of war-related chaos in the Pacific.   🐓

On 8/9/2021 at 6:46 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I do not wish to offend the sensibilities of charter members of the anti-counterfeiting school of thought a number of whom lurk about the Forum but, regardless the circumstances, I feel sorry for the schlemiels and schlimazels who thought it was a good idea and even a profitable one to tamper with a ONE CENT piece from the United States in the midst of war-related chaos in the Pacific.   🐓

inept n unlucky.....what a wonderful combination...sounds like my marriage coefficient.....