• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Constantivs-ll Roman 348-351 A.D. small Bronze
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I think I got the title on this thread right. Just looking for more insight on this coin. I have no knowledge on ancient coin's. I carefully took it out of a 2x2 and put it in a better 2x2. In the process I took the best clean photos shots that I can. I did purchase this but not near a hundred bucks. But I saw on line these are going around 200 bucks. I feel I got  a good deal. I hope anyways. :bigsmile: Thanks 

20210701_131209.jpg

20210701_131320.jpg

6 minutes ago, JKK said:

I hope you paid about $3.

Ohhhh wow , what did I do wrong. Is this fake. doh!

41 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

Ohhhh wow , what did I do wrong. Is this fake. doh!

Doubt it; it's just not worth $5 in that condition. Constantius II is extremely common (everyone is so sick of him) with tons of bronzes extant. A very nice one could be had for $20, and $12 for moderate wear would be fine. Of course, I don't know the denomination since I don't have the diameter, but whether it's an AE3 or AE4 doesn't really matter here. I suggest you look on Ebenezer for "constantius ii ae3", no quotes, sold listings only. Look at what people have paid, and you will have an answer.

In answer to what you did wrong, you assumed that an ancient coin must be very valuable just for showing up (understandable). They aren't. Some are, and some are junk can stuff like this one. If you're ever thinking of buying an ancient coin and want to show me pics, I'll be glad to comment. Fact: If people had the faintest idea how affordable Roman coin collecting could be, there'd be more demand.

Edited by JKK

Not sure where you saw them selling for $200, but I definitely agree with only a couple dollars.  You can get a nice silver Denarius of an earlier emperor for way less than $100.

14 minutes ago, JKK said:

Doubt it; it's just not worth $5 in that condition. Constantius II is extremely common (everyone is so sick of him) with tons of bronzes extant. A very nice one could be had for $20, and $12 for moderate wear would be fine. Of course, I don't know the denomination since I don't have the diameter, but whether it's an AE3 or AE4 doesn't really matter here. I suggest you look on Ebenezer for "constantius ii ae3", no quotes, sold listings only. Look at what people have paid, and you will have an answer.

In answer to what you did wrong, you assumed that an ancient coin must be very valuable just for showing up (understandable). They aren't. Some are, and some are junk can stuff like this one. If you're ever thinking of buying an ancient coin and want to show me pics, I'll be glad to comment. Fact: If people had the faintest idea how affordable Roman coin collecting could be, there'd be more demand.

Thanks JKK, I've seen alot of ancient coin's on line and your right there not all that valuable. Like you said unless it the right one's. I just picked this up so I can have something way back. Definitely I'm going to ask for your guidance before purchasing anything ancient. Just doing things the cheap way because of my budget. And never know what you might pick up by buying cheap. 

7 minutes ago, l.cutler said:

Not sure where you saw them selling for $200, but I definitely agree with only a couple dollars.  You can get a nice silver Denarius of an earlier emperor for way less than $100.

I saw where one was sold for 200 but I'm thinking somebody from another country purchased it. So I think there 200 is different than USD 200.

1 hour ago, Hinkle said:

Thanks JKK, I've seen alot of ancient coin's on line and your right there not all that valuable. Like you said unless it the right one's. I just picked this up so I can have something way back. Definitely I'm going to ask for your guidance before purchasing anything ancient. Just doing things the cheap way because of my budget. And never know what you might pick up by buying cheap. 

Late Roman bronzes are the most common ancient coins. The earlier ones, less so. The Greek Imperial, Roman Republic, and early Imperial stuff can get spendy. I can't even make a positive ID on your coin, except that I agree it's probably Constantius II. There are also billon coinages, bronzes with a silver wash, orichalcum (a brassy alloy), and so on. Ancient silver is spendier, but with that one has to watch for counterfeits. We're drowning in Constantine and Constantius; also have to shovel pretty hard to keep from being buried in Gallienus. If you can find one of Footstool Boy (Valerian), that's fun. He's the one who got bagged up by Shapoor of Persia and made to serve as a human footstool. Humiliating in any place, but especially in a region where showing someone the soles of your feet is about equal to slapping their face.

Edited by JKK
Because when I used the adjective for the pre-Imperial form of government, the board's filter just removed it