• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Twenty-five Cent 2005, Coin from Bahamas "Extra Finn"
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I was just looking back on some stuff I stored away back a few months ago, and seen this. Of course had to look it over. There's a extra fine on the bottom of the swordfish. Cool but interesting, thought I would share.

20210629_093237.jpg

20210629_093356.jpg

20210629_093453.jpg

20210629_093745.jpg

Pretty interesting for sure.  I looked this one up on this link:

https://en.ucoin.net/coin/bahamas-25-cents-1991-2005/?tid=32737

Definitely not an extra fin on this year coin based on the pics from the link.  My first impression was possibly a die clash of sorts.  Not sure without having an overlay.  

I tried my hand at an overlay of this coin but I am not too savvy on this kind of stuff even thought I have a dang MacBook Pro...... this computer is smarter than a 5th grader for sure.  I could significantly lighten the obverse while editing the photo on my computer and I think I see the culprit here but don't take my word for it.  While moving the Obverse picture over the Reverse picture (I did not use any rotation as I believe this quarter does not have any front to back) and came up with the following. It appears it may be a die clash and the extra fin appears to be in the exact location of the small device in the picture below which I circled in black.  I may be way off base but maybe not.  Hope this helps.  

20210629_093453.thumb.jpg.1b7635ef4e62c718b521bc9e986a047d.jpg

5 hours ago, GBrad said:

I tried my hand at an overlay of this coin but I am not too savvy on this kind of stuff even thought I have a dang MacBook Pro...... this computer is smarter than a 5th grader for sure.  I could significantly lighten the obverse while editing the photo on my computer and I think I see the culprit here but don't take my word for it.  While moving the Obverse picture over the Reverse picture (I did not use any rotation as I believe this quarter does not have any front to back) and came up with the following. It appears it may be a die clash and the extra fin appears to be in the exact location of the small device in the picture below which I circled in black.  I may be way off base but maybe not.  Hope this helps.  

20210629_093453.thumb.jpg.1b7635ef4e62c718b521bc9e986a047d.jpg

Thanks GBrad, also thanks for the link. Yeah it's a die clash, thought this one was pretty cool. Especially when you looking through some stuff you had awhile. It's just interesting to find stuff like this on world coins. But still hunting like usual. 

If the coin is coined "medal turn'" would not the front sail ("headsail" or "jib") be opposite the fish, rather than the rear sail ("mainsail")?

6 hours ago, Just Bob said:

If the coin is coined "medal turn'" would not the front sail ("headsail" or "jib") be opposite the fish, rather than the rear sail ("mainsail")?

You are 100% correct on that Just Bob.  My mistake. This would make a die clash possibility even more prominent with the headsail or jib being responsible for the extra fin on the obverse.  Good observation and thank you for the correction.