• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would like to know if my 1962 Jefferson nickel is worth grading, if so what would a deal might pay for it ??

6 posts in this topic

Hello, and welcome to the forum. The NGC price guide is putting these coins at $25 for a PF68 and $75 for a PF69. The cameos are going for a little more, but I don’t believe your coin would receive that attribution. Keep in mind that these are coins that are already graded. It is a little hard to see the condition of your coin through the flip, but I’m not sure it would be worth the price of having it graded. It does look like a nice coin that has a little toning to it. In my opinion, without the cameo designation it is not worth the expense.

Would like to know if my 1962 Jefferson nickel is worth grading....

Nope.

...if so what would a deal [sic] might pay for it ??

5-cents.

Edited by RWB

1 minute ago, RWB said:

Would like to know if my 1962 Jefferson nickel is worth grading....

Nope.

if so what would a deal might pay for it ??

5-cents

Troo dat. Allofit. Is it even a proof? It’s impaired if it is. Truly brilliant 1962 proof nickels in a shocking blue tone are in some demand, however. I search 1962 proof sets for them when I’m bored. 

Edited by VKurtB

I'll add to this discussion while interjecting my less than spectacular knowledge but I'm doing so for the sake of newcomers learning.  I may be wrong in saying this but unless 99% of any and all Jefferson's (those with the building on the reverse, not the newer Nickels) have a Full Step designation (known as FS) then NO..... I wouldn't even consider submitting it, especially and totally dependent upon a very high grade Nickel.  But then again, there are some key years that demand premiums without the FS designation but they are very far and few between. With all due respect, this is just a starting point in learning about Jefferson values (meaning FS).  There's a whole lot more that go into them other than Full Steps but at least hopefully you may take something away from this. Just MHO.   

Edited by GBrad

Proofs, and this is a proof, do not get FS designations because they are expected to have full steps.  So basically if it doesn't grade as a PF-69, which is very unlikely, it is not worth as much as it would cost to have it slabbed.