• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"This image is copyrighted"
1 1

10 posts in this topic

On another forum I ran into a suspect 1876-CC $20 gold. It is in "an NGC holder" which must be bogus.

When I checked the serial number on the NGC verification site, the item in the bogus holder is not the same. When I tried to copy the picture of the coin to warn others about the counterfeit, I was not allowed to do that because "this image has a copyright." 

Okay NGC, you made your point, but I am trying to stop the sale of the bogus coin in a fake NGC holder and get the word out about it. It seems to me that this restriction is penny-wise and pound foolish. 

Here is a picture of the fake item. It is being offered on Face Book according to the person who started the string of posts. 

1876-CC $20 Gold.jpg

Edited by BillJones
Picture added

It looks like the coin in the NGC pic, to me. Lots of matching marks and stains on the two pictures. 

But, yeah, it would be nice if members could post NGC pictures. I do understand why they protect their property, though. It (hopefully) helps prevent scammers from using their pictures to sell coins they don't own.

Link to NGC pic, in case anyone else wants to take a look.

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

It looks like the coin in the NGC pic, to me. Lots of matching marks and stains on the two pictures. 

But, yeah, it would be nice if members could post NGC pictures. I do understand why they protect their property, though. It (hopefully) helps prevent scammers from using their pictures to sell coins they don't own.

Link to NGC pic, in case anyone else wants to take a look.

It looks like the same coin to me, too.

Agreed it looks like the same coin. The lighting and angles of the two different sets of photos highlights different imperfections more or less, but there is enough in both sets to see it’s the same. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I agree that the seller's photos are just poor renderings of the genuine coin. Here are NGC's images, cropped to remove the labels:

5939641-011o.jpg

5939641-011r.jpg

Why all the hullabaloo?  Do you see those three very distinct claw marks directly in front of Lady Liberty's neck?  To quote member @zadok: Moot Point!

Incidentally, "over there," if you want to add a coin to your Set Registry, at the very minimum, you will have a three-day waiting period while a "release" is obtained from the previous owner. That and the application of their NFC security chip identification in encapsulations ought to put a crimp in thefts, counterfeiting and speculation.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Unwarranted spellcheck intrusion.

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

....ought to put a crimp in thefts, counterfeiting and speculation.

Well, for a week or two. Remember: Crooks don't mind hard work - mostly yours.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of those who have vociferously voiced their intolerance of ALL counterfeiters regardless the circumstances, I make allowances for a handful. I put Old Mr. 880 (named after his USSS file) at the very top who produced crude one-dollar bills, primarily on an as-needed basis over a ten-year period.

Next are the 🎨 artists featured now and again on television productions like "60 minutes" who produced work so fine it made more of a statement regarding the specialized experts who appraised them, the auctioneers who gaveled them away for millions and the tastes Social Register types, who lacking taste and familiarity with the objects of their obsession, substituted the judgments of those who had earned a Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval, for what little remained of their own.

I know these are those who will find these statements to be highly offensive but I am a strong believer in classification. One eats at a local hot dog stand; at the Plaza Hotel, one dines.

I have to agree with you .  It always amazed me when there would be a painting valued in the millions  that has sold several times that is suddenly outed as having been done by a "nobody" and suddenly the painting is worth little or nothing.  Wait a minute, it is the same paining that was worth millions last week and the experts have ohhed and ahhed over the quality of the work.  It's the same painting, the same quality of work but now it's worth little or nothing.  So what is the important thing?  The name of the artist or the quality of the work?  Last week the quality was worth millions.  The quality hasn't changed.

If you can see the picture on your screen, you can easily copy it to your PC. Just use a Photo editor with a screen grabber that lets you select an area to save. I use Paint Shop Pro.