• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

just wondering

6 posts in this topic

Hey, not a newbie, but was going to bid on this 21 peace and would like any opinions on whether it has been cleaned ? Not worried about the grade, thanks,  photos are as good as I can get them

s-l1600 - 2021-06-03T172255.272.jpg

s-l1600 - 2021-06-03T172303.927.jpg

hello.  it is impossible to tell from pictures alone whether or not a coin has been cleaned.  1921 peace are funny sometimes as some earlier (i think that is correct @RWB is an expert on these and will hopefully see this post) strikes seem almost lifeless due to the new dies.   this may be one of those examples as it does seem a little lifeless.   based on my personal experiences with this date this one appears to be a little overdipped a long time ago and has darkened up since then.  It is just impossible to tell via those pics/  sorry if that doesnt help much but their are others who know this coin inside and out.  

The photos suggest the coin is not uncirculated. As for cleaning, I can't tell from the photos. New coin dies do not have luster - they are more satin looking from the effects of the final acid dip after hardening. Luster quickly builds with use.

Those standard curved staples are making my brain itch. "Scratchmakers"