• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1787 Sixpence
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Sorry to tell you, but that is a counterfeit, replica, knockoff or whatever you want to call it but it is not genuine.

Hope you didn't pay too much for it and can get your money back. 

Edited by Greenstang

Hi, what makes you think it is a counterfeit? 

I know from experience that people are too quick to call counterfeits. I can easily tell Chinese counterfeits of 8 reales or morgans or kuwei province etc, but this seems perfectly fine to me. It weighs 3.02 grams which is spot on, I tested it with a magnet at 45 degrees and it slides slowly the same as it does on my bullion and morgan dollars. Also, I've checked slabbed versions and I'm pretty sure its genuine. I think it has been dipped though, which is why it is so spotless. If it does end up being counterfeit, it's no problem, it was only £30 and I'm sure I can return it :) Many thanks.

I know from experience that people are too quick to call counterfeits

FYI - I am not one who is "too quick". I have reported and had removed hundreds of counterfeits to eBay and have never had one rejected as being wrong.

If I am not 100% sure, I will not report it.

To get back to your coin, an easy check is the date. I have enclosed a photo of a genuine sixpence for comparison. Also there is bubbling on the reverse but the coin is supposed to be Sterling Silver plus the fact you only paid 30 pounds for a coin worth over 100 seems suspicious.

I have included photos of both varieties so you can see that it is different from either one.

1787 george III sixpense.jpg

1787 George no heart.jpg

Edited by Greenstang

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have compared the date to over thirty different verified coins and it appears that you are correct. I must apologise for my first remark. I said it, because after being quite active on other message boards for many years, I have seen dozens of people quick to comment shouting fake! replica! etc, when it turns out to be a perfectly real coin. I will ask for a return based upon your advice.

No need to apologize, I can see your point, just letting you know that I am not new at this.

I see the boys at CCF have also agreed that it is not genuine. That should remove any doubt that you may have had.

Now try and get your money back.

Edited by Greenstang