• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin labeled incorrectly

10 posts in this topic

I have two 2021 MS Australian coins both labeled with a "P" mintmark. See attached photo. The coin on the right does not have a mint mark. It appears to be an error on the label and right now these two coins are sharing one slot in the Registry. Please advise me on how to get this corrected. 

Thank you.

20210422_094754.jpg

To NGC,

Can you please respond to my previous post? The coin on the right hand side is labeled having a "P" mint mark and it does not have this. This coin is mislabeled. Can you correct this?

Regards

On 5/10/2021 at 6:43 AM, Muzzer42 said:

I have two 2021 MS Australian coins both labeled with a "P" mintmark. See attached photo. The coin on the right does not have a mint mark. It appears to be an error on the label and right now these two coins are sharing one slot in the Registry. Please advise me on how to get this corrected. 

Thank you.

20210422_094754.jpg

The label is correct as these coins come from the Perth Mint in Australia. That is what that letter on the label means. 

Although, I so believe that the coin on the right might have the wrong denomination. I would have to see the back to verify. That design is featured on the $5.00 coin which does not come with a P mint mark like the one on the left, which is correct for the $1.00 denomination

Edited by LeonK291
Added more info

NGC will correct "Mechanical Errors" you just have to send the coin in. If I remember correctly you fill out a submission form, the same as you would for any coin, and write "MECHANICAL ERROR" in big bold letters across the form. If you haven't already you can also email  Service@NGCcoin.com 

Thank you, you are correct. This should be labeled as a $5 instead of a $1. I'm just trying to get a response out of NGC & it appears fruitless. There is another coin, same as I have with no (P) mintmark. Thanks Fenntucky, I'll send an email directly to NGC.

Regards, 

2021 Year of the Ox (No P Mintmark).jpg

On 8/11/2021 at 7:28 AM, Muzzer42 said:

Thank you, you are correct. This should be labeled as a $5 instead of a $1. I'm just trying to get a response out of NGC & it appears fruitless. There is another coin, same as I have with no (P) mintmark. Thanks Fenntucky, I'll send an email directly to NGC.

Regards, 

2021 Year of the Ox (No P Mintmark).jpg

Muzzer42, 

I checked in on that coin on the right, and it is a $1 denomination on the back which is puzzling to me, I am pretty familiar with Perth and did not realize they released a $5 and $1 with that same design. So it actually looks like your labels are correct. 

Screenshot_20210811-150437__01.thumb.jpg.2be78e9b64cac7bda2c4dd881b2226ad.jpgScreenshot_20210811-150443__01.thumb.jpg.87b6d2edf0facb28a29e57b7a2a61951.jpg

Edited by LeonK291

Yes, you're correct Leon and I also didn't realize there was a $5 version of this coin. I still don't know why the $1 dollar has a "P" mintmark on the label but there is no mintmark on the coin. The $5 coin of the same design has no mintmark on the Label or coin. Why would NGC add a (P) mintmark on the $1 and not the $5 dollar coin. 

I believe there should be separate slots to accommodate these two different coin designs and the label should reflect the second coin with no mintmark because the coin doesn't have one. Since NGC is not responding to this thread I'm going to email them directly and see what they say. I'll update this post when I get a reply. 

Thanks to all for your feedback.

The R.A.M. Lunar coin would not have a "P" mint mark and I would agree that the label has a "Mechanical Error" which NGC would fix at no charge once received (you pay for shipping to NGC). The P.M. coin has a "P" Mint mark, all modern bullion coins that are produced at the P.M have this (I think). Two different coins, two different mints.

I took a look at the Registry Set for these and there is a slot for both coins in it. If you enter the cert # for the R.A.M. coin in the 2021 Year of the Ox slot it will probably be accepted or entered by NGC after they review it.

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive/australia/australia-lunar/7659/

You're correct. I just checked and there is another slot now that should accommodate this coin. This wasn't there before and tried to add my coin but it won't go. Probably because of the label. At least the slot is fixed. I just have to get the label fixed. Thank you for your  help. 

Regards. 

On 8/12/2021 at 1:33 PM, Muzzer42 said:

You're correct. I just checked and there is another slot now that should accommodate this coin. This wasn't there before and tried to add my coin but it won't go. Probably because of the label. At least the slot is fixed. I just have to get the label fixed. Thank you for your  help. 

Regards. 

They are watching. :ph34r: lol

It's weird that these two separate series would be grouped into to a single set like this but I have a feeling it's only temporary and that they will be broke out into separate sets eventually as more are released. Didn't both mints produce Year of the Rat coins in 2020?