• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1907 UHR Saint-Gaudens Sells for $4,100,000
1 1

69 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I'll make it to one one of these days. 

I'm actually going to try and hit the Baltimore Whitman Show in November.   A bit smaller, I would just be there probably 1 day.  Can drive back to my folks house that night.

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

@Conder101 told me about a couple close to me back in the fall. I'll have to go look through those old threads and see where he said they was.  Getting to thinking. Actually that may have been coin clubs we was talking about at the time. 

If you've NEVER been to a coin show then it is probably best to go to a few local shows of modest size, like 20-40 tables/dealers.  You'd be overwhelmed, IMO, if you want to a big regional like Whitman or a national like FUN right out of the gate. 

I had been going to coin shows for 10+ years and I was overwhelmed my 1st day at FUN last year.  In fact, my 1st day was a complete waste.  Thankfully, I was better organized and a few NGC/CT friends helped me determine a course of action and also let me know where the dealers who had stuff I wanted to see would be located.  2nd and 3rd days were super-productive.

Navigating a huge complex with 600+ dealers can be time-consuming and chaotic. 

12 hours ago, zadok said:

somethings just r not for sale....just as there is buyers remorse there is sellers remorse....the former u can recover from the latter maybe not.....

I'm the very same way. I'd rather have the coin. I can care less about money.  Don't get me wrong I would love to have a bunch of money. But If I had some rare coins worth alot of money I'd have to be in very bad shape before I sold them. I'd rather pass them down thru the family. I'm more in the collecting aspect than the making money. I love admiring my coins and reading about them. And thinking about the people who made them. And where all that coin has been. Of course a person will never know where all its been but I got a very large imagination. My coins aren't for sale neither. Which I don't really have nothing special anyone would want. Buy if I did then it wouldn't neither. 

58 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I would absolutely love to go even if I didn't buy anything. I'd fall in love with just looking at everything and talking about it. But the dealers probably hate to see people like me. Wasting their time. 

Not at all.....first, they don't know if you are a buyer or not.  Second, they realize even if you don't buy then you might buy in the future.  Third, many/most really like to be helpful and grow the hobby by answering questions.

I guess if you do nothing but ask to see 27 different coins from their case they might get a little tired of reaching in. xD But that's the exception. 

I found most of the dealers super-friendly and very helpful.  They really only get upset or a bit rankled if you do something that violates protocol such as reaching in yourself without permission....putting (heavy) stuff on their glass cases....or putting food or drinks near their merchandise.  Other than that, they'll be very helpful and happy to chit-chat even, if there aren't other customers to service. 

I can't recall one negative experience from FUN 2020 and I hit every single dealer at least once.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

2 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I guess if you do nothing but ask to see 27 different coins from their case they might get a little tired of reaching in. xD But that's the exception. 

I wouldn't do them that way. I would try to show them a little respect.  That would be annoying.  There are people out there that do stuff like that.  Don't care to disrespect people. 

Back To The OP.....these UHRs are clearly trophy coins/patterns, and like most key dates and rarities and more expensive coins, they have been bid up in the last few months/year.

I always wonder:  how many people, excluding coin collectors, are even AWARE of the UHRs and HRs ?  I know myself I wasn't familiar with them until maybe 10-12 years ago, into my 40's.

I think as more people find out about them or more likely are TOLD about them, you can see more and more people take an interest in them and bid them up.  You do see lots of references in pop culture to things like the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle Rookie Card -- hence the incredible surge there in prices (100-fold in 30 years, 25-fold in 10 years).  I could see the same spreading-the-word about UHRs and HRs boosting prices there (more so for the UHRs since they are so few). 

If the 1933 Saint goes for close to $15 MM, I can easily see it dragging up the UHRs as "cheap" for 1/3rd the price.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

@GoldFinger1969 If the super investors bid up the price of Inverted Jennies , I will send you the newer block of them that came out a few years ago. In fact, having bought several, I will send you the postal envelope sent to me, untouched.  This time around, it's the few that were printed with the biplane "right-side up," that are the more valuable of the two.  I do not know if any were subsequently found or what they may be worth.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Misspelling