• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Customs duty charge to order a coin from Greece?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Could try this....https://www.goodada.com/us/usa-customs-import-and-export-duty-calculator

...I didn't delve into it too deeply but it looks like you need to make sure the person selling has Export permission, The Greek laws seem to have some rules of shipping certain types of items (coins/collectables) from their nation...but be prepared to pay a handsome set of fees for shipping and customs. 

Edited by EdG_Ohio

3 hours ago, EdG_Ohio said:

Could try this....https://www.goodada.com/us/usa-customs-import-and-export-duty-calculator

...I didn't delve into it too deeply but it looks like you need to make sure the person selling has Export permission, The Greek laws seem to have some rules of shipping certain types of items (coins/collectables) from their nation...but be prepared to pay a handsome set of fees for shipping and customs. 

I've given up.  The seller says he ships as "gifts" but I can imagine a whole bucket of complications.

Just not gonna do it.   :preach:

11 minutes ago, Rollo Tomassi said:

I've given up.  The seller says he ships as "gifts" but I can imagine a whole bucket of complications.

Just not gonna do it.   :preach:

Wise move.  My order, shipped via DHL, was mysteriously blocked and sent back.  A switch to FedEx resulted in impoundment by CBP and an extraordinarily intrusive interrogation -- name, address, business, DOB, SSN, etc. -- conducted over the phone by FedEx at CBP's behest.

They [falsely] claimed there was no return address or description of the "collector coins" enclosed.  They emailed me a 4-page form that had to be filled out IN FULL, or the shipment would be returned.  I happened to be near a FedEx office that was kind enough to generate hard copies of the cell photos I had taken of it in a local city park, filled them out, dispatched them immediately and days later received the shipment bearing a crystal clear return address and a manifest that listed the dates of all coins, the TPGS that encapsulated them and their respective costs in euros. Weeks later, I received a bill for $33.  I resented, and still resent, the coercive nature of the transaction and the fact that if I declined to respond immediately, three impossible-to-get coins would be shipped back automatically.  Not my idea of the joys of coin collecting...

personal experiences....international shipping a def quagmire, very few if any standardized procedures...i buy prob 100-120 coins per year from individual international sellers mostly ebayers, i have only had two occasions where i did not receive items purchased n both times funds recovered thru ebay quickly....i routinely receive coins marked as gifts or tokens n no consequences...as for my international auction firms purchases , they were shipped with all the customs forms n all procedures followed n associated fees incurred but no loses so far....there r a few countries i do not ship to due to theft n corruption but mostly i have had very few problems....

Other than certain coins that can't be imported into the US due to "Cultural Heritage" issues, I don't believe there are any customs duties on coins imported into the US.

Cognizant of the fact you haven't lost an argument in thirty-seven years... I'd appreciate your giving me a shot to present my case, in furtherance of the facts presented hereinabove two posts up.

The 4-page form from the DHS/U.S. Customs and Border Protection was entitled: "CREATE/UPDATE IMPORTER IDENTITY FORM [CBP Form 5106 (12/18)] authorized on the strength of 19 CFR 24.5.

Judging by the date I signed my life away, 09/26/2019, the shipment of coins arrived soon after followed by a "FedEx Duty and Tax Invoice" dated 10/11/2019, in the amount of $33.22.

The Invoice included answers to questions a customer might typically have regarding why their shipment was being held for ransom, such as:

"Why did I receive this duty and tax invoice?"  Whereupon you would be overwhelmed with the names of things you may have heard about, but have little or no practical experience with:

"Almost all shipments crossing international borders including purchases made over the internet are subject to the assessment of duties and taxes imposed by the importing country's government.... A shipment's duty and tax amount may be based on:  Product value, Trade agreements, Country of manufacture, Use of the product, and the product's Harmonized System (HS) code.  Customs officials assess duties and taxes based on the information provided on the Air Waybill, the Commercial Invoice and other relevant documents such as Certificate of Origin.

"What are the charges on this invoice?"  The charges may include Duties (Cost, Insurance, Freight) of the goods.

Value Added Tax; Ancillary Service Fees, Customs Fees (a Merchandise Processing Fee, followed by exceptions (including but not limited to NAFTA and CBERA) Advancement Fees, and so on and so forth, followed by more questions and answers.

They had everything but my fingerprints, DNA and bio-metricals.  I paid $33.22.  What would you, the Mighty Conder, with an unparalleled record of excellence on this site, have done differently when the lives of three French 20-franc gold roosters lay in the balance?

I rest my case, and thank you for your time and attention, and the OP's patient indulgence.

According to the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (2020) Revision 28

Chapter 97

9705.00.00 Collections and collectors pieces of zoological, botanical, mineralogical, anatomical, historical, archaeological, paleontological, ethnographic, or numismatic interest are duty free

Link to Chapter 97  https://hts.usitc.gov/view/Chapter 97?release=2020HTSARev28

Gold coins are specifically stated to be duty free, but they DO have to be declared.  Since the coins you had imported were Roosters they might not have had the declaration forms and the $33.22 could have been a fine or penalty for that.

15 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

According to the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (2020) Revision 28

Chapter 97

9705.00.00 Collections and collectors pieces of zoological, botanical, mineralogical, anatomical, historical, archaeological, paleontological, ethnographic, or numismatic interest are duty free

Link to Chapter 97  https://hts.usitc.gov/view/Chapter 97?release=2020HTSARev28

Gold coins are specifically stated to be duty free, but they DO have to be declared.  Since the coins you had imported were Roosters they might not have had the declaration forms and the $33.22 could have been a fine or penalty for that.

Obviously, I will have to look into this further -- and perhaps dig a little deeper as to why the original shipper, DHL, declined to accept it.  Mighty Conder, your unblemished record remains intact.  I very much appreciate your invaluable input!