• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bullion Coin - 1990 American Eagle Silver Dollar - Date error

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I would like someone's opinion, as to the value of this coin.  From what I have learned these coins began being minted in 1986, so this coin, on first glance looks like it has a date of 1900.  When i checked it under my loop, I can see that the 1st zero has, what looks like something else squished under it.  My assumption is that it is a 1990, because or process of elimination.  Any input would be appreciated, thank you !

Denise

DZuk1.jpg

DZuk2.jpeg

DZuk3.jpeg

I think it’s just damage that caused the 9 to be distorted. These aren’t meant for circulation, but it looks like it has seen some wear. Someone must have stored this in a bag of coins or thrown around. 

9 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

I think it’s just damage that caused the 9 to be distorted. These aren’t meant for circulation, but it looks like it has seen some wear. Someone must have stored this in a bag of coins or thrown around. 

I believe it was in circulation. I am aware its current value, without an error, is approximately 30.00, but with the error, can you give me a guess as to the value please? Thank you

Others can disagree, but again I think it’s damage. That occurred after it left the mint and isn’t an error. You are looking at the value being silver spot price at the time of sale and a few bucks premium. But given that this one isn’t really BU I’d say you are essentially looking at silver spot price. 

I didn’t even consider that, but now that counterfeit is mentioned it screams that. Everything is being counterfeited I guess, I just hadn’t seen any of these yet. 

D.Zuk to start with do you have a digital scale by chance? Can you weigh it to 2 decimal places? That will be a good start. 

Hi, no I don't have a scale.  I don't know for sure that it was in circulation, I just assumed since its beat up.  Its my Uncle's coin. At some point i will purchase a scale, so i will check that, thank you