• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1871 gold fractional
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I've had this for a few months now and just had a chance to get it out and look better at it.   A 1871 round Liberty G25C BG-813 and like me it's seen better days but I wanted to have at least one and for a affordable price.

When I look at it's size, thickness and condition it makes me wonder what the heck they were thinking when they came up with these. I could easily bend this with my fingernail if I chose too. Knowing the clothing material was much thicker I imagine these were kept in a coin bag of sorts and kept in ones pocket. In this day and age I'd have these darn things bouncing around in my washer/dryer not knowing they were in my pockets...LOL
If I pursue these I may have to invest in a microscope for better viewing. There is a substantial amount of dates and varieties involved with these and collecting all I believe would a daunting endeavor.   
They do have a bit of History in coinage and California gold which can be read here at NGC Coin Explorer.
...anywho...a 1871 Fractional for your viewing.

1871.fractional.BG813.Obv[1].jpg

1871.fractional.BG813.Rev[1].jpg

I have often wondered just how many of those were misplaced due to their tiny size. I realize it was a substantial sum back then, and would have been carefully handled, but still, it had to be easy to lose them.

Maybe that's why the floorboards back in the day had gaps in them, to act as a coin/gold collector. hm   Silly notion but you'd have to wonder how many may have dropped through the floorboards though. Time to get the metal detector out and visit a few old ghost towns.
I had considered slabbing it mainly for the reason of it getting potentially dropped in the future or how easily it could be further damaged. It would look so tiny in a slab ... hahaha