• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I can not get NGC to answer a question...what am I doing wrong?

9 posts in this topic

I have twice asked the following question in the Ask NGC section and neither time has been approved by a moderator. It just sits there in red with a green exclamation mark (see picture). I posted the first time, waited a week with no moderator approval, and assumed it was because I used the link to the item for sale. Then Wednesday morning I posted the following removing the link and just putting the information and nothing. I see questions posted after mine approved and visible. Am I off base in asking this? Am I breaking some rule I am not aware of? Here is the post including the pictures I included:

I have been looking for a high grade Alabama State Fund So Called Dollar and ran across this listing. In the listing the seller is adamant that this is a 1963 re-strike. Upon some research it does appear there was a series of re-strikes, using the the original dies, in the early 60s. 

I was surprised that this was not designated in any way on the NGC label/cert. Does NGC delineate between original and re-strike, and if so is this original or a re-strike missing the designation? Below is the text of the listing. 

For Sale: $425.00 · NGC MS 65

Reference HK-402
SH 18-12.1 ABZ
Date 1915
Grade NGC MS 65
4912431-003
Price $425.00
Item # 1192
Metal Antiqued Bronze

Near TOP POP, only 1 certified finer in 66. Alabama State Fund Dollar from the 1915 Panama – Pacific International Exposition. Plate Medal in Pacific Coast Expositions book. A very popular piece with a price of $137.50 in the Hibler and Kappen book published in 1963. Struck in Antiqued Bronze. 1963 restrike.

D806D6DF-B6D8-402B-8A66-EDA560B71851.jpeg

B83B4532-C1B6-4594-90F4-F4A7A71BFEC0.jpeg

1D1F912F-BDDB-43C3-99AE-26DB80295E40.jpeg

E70F4F5F-C144-4981-A57F-30E531817FE2.jpeg

I can't speak for your token but they do differentiate between original and re-strikes. In my case they couldn't tell the difference on the Gold Mexico Pesos, same original dies were used like your scenario,  so they automatically label it as a "Re-strike" regardless I suppose it's a default designation for them.
Could be the opposite for your question or maybe a token is treated different.....I'm just guessing.
BTW....Nice coin/token

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

Am I off base in asking this? Am I breaking some rule I am not aware of?

No and No. My opinion. 

As far as your question to NGC it will be interesting to read the response you get, my guess is no but hopefully I'm wrong because I would like to see each recognized. Unless the restrike is published in a universally accepted reference or you or the seller has strong documentation to support this (original packaging could do it), NGC probably won't differentiate between the two regardless of die diagnostics.

1 minute ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

No and No. My opinion. 

As far as your question to NGC it will be interesting to read the response you get, my guess is no but hopefully I'm wrong because I would like to see each recognized. Unless the restrike is published in a universally accepted reference or you or the seller has strong documentation to support this (original packaging could do it), NGC probably won't differentiate between the two regardless of die diagnostics.

The only thing I can add is that there is a diagnostic to differentiate between the original and restrike. Supposedly anyway. Some die scratches were polished out for the later striking. This is I am sure why the seller is saying this is a restrike. And if there is a diagnostic I am surprised NGC doesn’t differentiate. I just wish they would tell me one way or another. 

I do not see any issue with your question or any rule/reason why it would not be posted.   I have no information on this issue to share or add so hopefully you can get an answer from someone at NGC, paging @DWLange.

1 hour ago, proud potato said:

idk same with me it sux but then i used this chat and well its a ok so...

This isn’t a ding at NGC. I’m sure they have a lot going on to answer free questions in that section. I was truly curious if I was going about it wrong. Generally when something goes wrong and it’s me or the other guy, I assume it’s me and I’m usually right 😂

Forgot to mention this but have you tried to email NGC? service@NGCCoin.com is one, they've gotten back to me right away when I've had questions. Excellent customer service. (thumbsu

The forums aren't necessarily monitored closely, an email or phone call might be the best way to go about it. Let us know the results.

1 hour ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Forgot to mention this but have you tried to email NGC? service@NGCCoin.com is one, they've gotten back to me right away when I've had questions. Excellent customer service. (thumbsu

The forums aren't necessarily monitored closely, an email or phone call might be the best way to go about it. Let us know the results.

Thank you. I will email them tomorrow if I still don’t get a response.