• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1893 quarter questions
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I don't see evidence of circulation. Nice coloration. Can't tell if it was ever dipped, but it's a nice piece. Unless it comes back cleaned somehow, I can imagine it going for 63.

6 hours ago, Turko said:

Hey anyone help me what can be grade this quarter thanks

AD4E40AD-53E3-4473-A7AC-A65207A61F26.png

2DFFA87F-A459-4F12-83E5-3C9EF6EBF78C.png

First time I have ever seen this type and probably the only coin in existence which can be identified as obverse or reverse just by looking at the [slanted/angled] denticles alone.  Very fine example of a Mint state coin.  Someone evidently took great care to preserve this coin.  To pin down a grade, you would have to hear from someone who knows where to look for wear. Best to hear what others have to say, and why.  Very lovely!

high point on reverse is where cord crosses her thigh....high point on obverse is isabella's cheek....u can determine if any/much wear etc....virtually none of these circulated... 

My guess is that the pictured Isabella Quarter is uncirculated, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s been cleaned. The luster in the fields looks a bit off and subdued.

as mentioned in above post...look at isabella/s cheek n at the cord where crosses her thigh, if no wear prob unc if see wear then au coin, from photos 61-62 coin but if cleaned be unc with details....

[What enquiring minds want to know is what David Vagi of NGC would say after he examines the coin, puts away his loupe and Rick of Pawn Stars fame asks him the only question that ever seems to be on his mind:  "So, what's it worth"?  Anybody want to hazard a guess?  Anybody want to suggest certification and encapsulation if only to protect it's apparently pristine condition considering its age?

11 hours ago, Turko said:

I ask the seller he say no clean what you think about grade 

I don’t know who the seller is. So for all I know, he might not be able to determine if it’s been cleaned or he might think it has been, but he doesn’t want to tell you.

I think you’d be taking an unnecessary risk in buying that coin. There are plenty of graded examples available.

When a member presents a satisfactory [pixelated] image of an example minus the presence of telltale prongs I think it safe to say it is in his possession and was sold to him "as is" and now that he has it he'd like to know exactly what he's got.

The coin, never intended for mass circulation, has an interesting history. There are 170+ images of this commemorative quarter presented on eBay should the OP wish to compare his with theirs and Wikipedia indicates prices of $325. for an AU-50 and $3,750 "in near pristine" for an MS-60.  To be fair, on eBay you will find such coins going for less, and some well into the $4,000 range. It is worth pointing out that cleaned coins described as such may be found as well.  I am inclined to suggest the coin be submitted for certification.