• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So Called Dollar Listing Question?

5 posts in this topic

I have been looking for this Alabama so called dollar from the Pan Pac Expo, and I finally ran across this listing. Here is my question. Nowhere on the label from NGC does it mention a restrike, however the listing says it’s a 1963 restrike? I know little to nothing about these, but putting together a coin and exonumia collection for Alabama and this is on my list. What am I missing?

http://www.so-calleddollar.com/for-sale/1915-ppie-alabama-state-scd/

Edited by Woods020

Don't know, I didn't see anything about a restrike in HK but the seller is pretty animate about it being so even gives a date 1963. 

Normally NGC would list "restrike" on the label, I would lean towards the seller is mistaken. But.....(shrug)

If it is a restrike I would think the asking price is a bit high.

I did a lot research, and it seems there was a series of restrikes from the original dies in the 60s. There are some diagnostics to distinguish between the two. I’m more confused now why NGC would slab it with the same HK number and no recognition of restrike? Seems like a miss to me. Here is the article on collectors universe discussing the diagnostics. 

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/957647/hk-402-panama-pacific-alabama-so-called-dollar-restrike-with-original-dies

Interesting, thanks for the link.

So would the right wing tip be another diagnostic? I am seeing the die chip in the scroll work on other examples online, the die chip is easily identifiable. Looks like the label is wrong or NGC doesn't differentiate between the two. 

It’s a mystery to me for sure. Now I’m worried about making sure I find an original. And I was so excited when I saw it was an MS65. But the purist in me wants the original, die chips and all