• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 5oz Apollo Reverse Struck Thru Question
2 2

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've never submitted a coin that has come back with any type of error or damage, the 5 oz Apollo proof coin came back with Reverse Struck Thru which I'm assuming is this line that looks like a scratch or wire that got stamped in across the "M" on America.  I'm not looking to sell it or anything but just curious if I did eventually sell it does this hurt/help the price of it at all or would it be around the same value of a normal 69 without the error?  I know its a newer coin but any comments would be appreciated.

StrikeThru.JPG.b0b53ec9a8593bc99801ab2a889c8d5a.JPG

Thanks!

What was the question it was struck through? If it was a rhetorical question it might be indeterminable.

Edited by RWB

11 minutes ago, RWB said:

What was the question it was struck through? If it was a rhetorical question it might be indeterminable.

No, was more just curious on how the small error would effect the value of the coin if I ever decided or needed to sell it.  More like if it would be a big loss or if it would sell for around what a non-error 69 would go for.

Edited by Nineoneo

7 hours ago, Lancek said:

Hard to say.  Depends on the collector.  I have found modern commem collectors,  and proof collectors are not as excited about errors.  They like their coins pristine.  And this one is a very minor one.

Then again, to the right collector who knows.  Trouble wold be, finding that collector.  To some collectors it will lower what they would pay.

Did you buy this from the mint.  They have a return policy.  Too late for this coin.  But in the future, any coin you get, immediately go over it with a good magnifier.

I did buy it from the mint, I looked over it but didn’t have a magnifier at the time - It’s pretty hard to notice without looking extremely close so I’m not too bummed out about it.

On 3/7/2021 at 3:33 PM, Nineoneo said:

Hi,

I've never submitted a coin that has come back with any type of error or damage, the 5 oz Apollo proof coin came back with Reverse Struck Thru which I'm assuming is this line that looks like a scratch or wire that got stamped in across the "M" on America.  I'm not looking to sell it or anything but just curious if I did eventually sell it does this hurt/help the price of it at all or would it be around the same value of a normal 69 without the error?  I know its a newer coin but any comments would be appreciated.

StrikeThru.JPG.b0b53ec9a8593bc99801ab2a889c8d5a.JPG

Thanks!

[Pardon my intrusion, Nineoneo...  

Attention:  VKurtB, do you really expect me to believe professional graders on those assembly lines would have been able to draw a bead on this with five- and seven power toy lenses in the face of the immutable evidence heretofore presented?  Would this gentleman have been able to present his case to us with anything less than the magnificent photo displayed hereinabove?

No further questions.

To the OP, Nineoneo... the only way I can address your concerns is to put myself in your place. While being transparent is the best approach, the market for over-sized coinage is fickle, particularly where a proof is involved.  It would not hurt to make preliminary inquiries with various dealers and auction houses bolstering your query with a copy of that crime scene-quality image.  

On 3/8/2021 at 7:50 PM, Nineoneo said:

No, was more just curious on how the small error would effect the value of the coin if I ever decided or needed to sell it.

Most likely it would cause the value to go down.  Collectors of proofs want their coins to be a flawless as possible and a minor strike through isn't going to be of much interest to an error collector especially on an expensive coin. Unless they happen to be putting together a set of  oz proofs with strike throughs.  And even then why pay a premium for it since the seller is over a barrel.  I would expect it to be worth 68 money possibly 67 money..