• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Failed to attribute variety - what to do now?

8 posts in this topic

Sent in 3 coins to have a DDO / FS-101 attributed.  Got them back today, two came back as expected and one, a 1970 D, they failed to give the variety. Was thinking I overlooked something but looking again I see most of the markers for the variety.  Granted it is a damaged coin (machine roller damage on obverse) and came back with XF details.  I knew it would come back as details but something I found in change with my boys and paid face value for, though it would be cool to have slabbed. Now I wasted 50+ bucks for a damaged quarter.  Wish they would give written explanation as to why.  Do I have options?

thumbnail1.jpg

thumbnail2.jpg

thumbnail3.jpg

thumbnail4.jpg

Edited by BMP804
update

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Your coin is not a doubled-die. It has a touch of die erosion at its extremities, but that doesn't qualify as a variety.

@BMP804 You can always send the coin to PCGS and see if they agree with the NGC opinion, the downside is you will need to spend another $50-$60 or more and I'm not sure that the coin is worth that much in a damaged condition.

Edited to add:  You could also send it to ANACS, far less expensive than sending to PCGS.

@DWLange  In looking at the op's photos it sure does look to match very well to the FS-101 photos on Variety Vista; there are split serfs on the "Y" of liberty, on the center of the "W" of IGWT, and the seven of the date.   All of those areas in the op's photos are a dead on match for the photos shown on Variety Vista.  Can you point out what are you seeing that leads you to a die erosion determination?

Edited by Coinbuf

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The photos are not displaying for me now. Anyone else having the same problem?

@DWLange they're still popping up on my cell - the first pic with the date is gone on PC. No idea, obviously new to this forum and pretty new to coins (2 years or so). I'll put some more in.

I appreciate the responses by all. I'm still seeing the variety but get about 50/50 responses.PXL_20210227_180901828.thumb.jpg.54e8fa3cb1649a1279ead86f9eb85feb.jpg

PXL_20210227_181054227.jpg

PXL_20210227_181010095.jpg

S20210227_0011.jpg

S20210227_0003.jpg

Edited by BMP804
removed a pic

21 minutes ago, DWLange said:

The photos are not displaying for me now. Anyone else having the same problem?

Photos still show for me.  I have highlighted the areas in the photos the OP supplied that seem to agree with the photos Variety Vista has.  I do see that the coin has lots of wear and damage.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Bringing this back up for a reply from @DWLange, inquiring minds want to know.  The photos that the OP shared are available to view in my post just above with what looks to be the match areas I circled in red.

Edited by Coinbuf

I appreciate the interest and help with the pics @coinbuf.  I wish I could get an explanation from NGC / grader. Obviously we're seeing the same things. I'm set that the variety is there and don't think I'm just a hopeful hunter.