• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 D Penny

10 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

Correct, that is a Small Date.

Good morning, @Greenstang! That is what I thought! Whoop, whoop! Look at me learning, lol. 🥳 Now I just need to figure out how to differentiate, from a picture, if it is zinc or copper. I have bragged to all my friends how y'all can do that. Y'all are all famous here in my little town 😊

Edited by Sharann
Errors

Glad to see that you are learning Sharran. It is better than just posting every piece of pocket change like some people and hoping that someone hear can find an error on it.
You can’t always tell the difference between zinc and copper but most of the time if you look at the fields (the surface), you will see that on zinc coins it has a more textured appearance and maybe even shows signs of plate bubbling. If you look at a copper coin, unless it has been damaged, you will find that the fields are smoother. The last coin posted is a good example of a zinc coin.

@CoinbufI don’t think I ever want to see a 1982-D cent again 😂. I think that question has been asked 2-3 times a week and I have only been here for like a month. They are either large dates or they clearly have zinc bubbles on them.

Edited by Grant Gerlinger

2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

There is little need to worry about needing to differentiate between zinc or copper for the 1982D small date.  The reason is that there are only a tiny handful of real copper 1982D small dates in existence, these were never supposed to be made at all.  A commonly accepted reason for the few that do exist is that those copper planchets were left over stuck in a bin or somewhere throughout the flow of planchets.  So what you should do is automatically assume that any 1982D small date is a zinc coin unless it has been verified by a numismatic expert and/or top TPG.   We see the question "is this 1982D a copper small date or not" two to three times a week, not once have I seen one actually be a copper small date. 

Thank you for explaining that since I am new to collecting.