• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading question
1 1

52 posts in this topic

Just now, Quintus Arrius said:

If what you've opined is true, and I implicitly trust the verdict of a highly revered member, I would be honored to offer the OP my own uncertified 1937 Buffalo (in slendid condition) which I was prepared to use as my last free grading credit until I apparently forfeited it when, with two months left to go, I declined to renew my membership ATS and my free credit was unceremoniously clawed back with no notice to me, and both my user name and password were stricken from the records.  I will post my nickel here, obverse and release, and if it meets with both the OP's and congregations' approval -- I will post it to you without delay free of charge. 20210219_183428.thumb.jpg.d1ace5b5047e40a9f08762798dccc372.jpg20210219_184112.thumb.jpg.33024185c2c70e6f3b741fa986914ca4.jpg

Terribly sorry for the poor images. I am unable to crop and reposition. I will try again.

7 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Terribly sorry for the poor images. I am unable to crop and reposition. I will try again.

20210219_190546.thumb.jpg.be38de30b7c55094ebff3bc6ac7d5978.jpg20210219_190836.thumb.jpg.809865213a9a74a12d126bdcb05b17ce.jpg

Best I can do.  I would be happy to send this to you gratis, at my cost.  You may want to wait to have the congregation comment first. 

2 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Best I can do.  I would be happy to send this to you gratis, at my cost.  You may want to wait to have the congregation comment first. 

Send it I'll send it to ngc and keep you in the loop.......I can't in good faith take without giving.......I have a bunch of Morgans and even more American Eagles.........even proof ase's.....how about a 2018 proof? No coa so I'm kinda stuck with it.

1 minute ago, rocket23 said:

Looks like a future grading in my book.

1, 3, 7, 13 and 37 are all my lucky numbers. I do hope this is also deemed a suitable candidate for grading by others particularly those with knowledge and experience in such matters.

15 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

1, 3, 7, 13 and 37 are all my lucky numbers. I do hope this is also deemed a suitable candidate for grading by others particularly those with knowledge and experience in such matters.

All prime numbers.......interesting.

1 hour ago, rocket23 said:

There’s no way to provide a meaningful grade guess from those images. Do you know how high the coin would need to grade in order to recoup the grading cost?

19 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

There’s no way to provide a meaningful grade guess from those images. Do you know how high the coin would need to grade in order to recoup the grading cost?

red book has a pf 63 at 1200.00 seeing as this is not an ms variant then the logical amount is negotiable for an auction type response......so in a word......sure, what are we talking 50 bucks tops.....I blow more than that at the track....

14 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

red book has a pf 63 at 1200.00 seeing as this is not an ms variant then the logical amount is negotiable for an auction type response......so in a word......sure, what are we talking 50 bucks tops.....I blow more than that at the track....

As I mentioned before, your coin isn’t a Proof and neither is the other 1937 that’s been posted to this thread. So I don’t understand why you’re mentioning anything about values for Proof examples. Additionally, there are numerous price guides that are far more accurate and up to date than the “Red Book”.

Edited by MarkFeld

40 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

As I mentioned before, your coin isn’t a Proof and neither is the other 1937 that’s been posted to this thread. So I don’t understand why you’re mentioning anything about values for Proof examples. Additionally, there are numerous price guides that are far more accurate and up to date than the “Red Book”.

I think I can justify a grading, if I'm wrong Oh well if I'm right oh well...is it a proof? Time will tell. I think a professional grading will do a better job than a photo on a forum...no offense.

1 hour ago, MarkFeld said:

As for values....you brought it up, not me.....as the op I have an obligation to reply to any post or should I just go away??

6 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

I think I can justify a grading, if I'm wrong Oh well if I'm right oh well...is it a proof? Time will tell. I think a professional grading will do a better job than a photo on a forum...no offense.

As for values....you brought it up, not me.....as the op I have an obligation to reply to any post or should I just go away??

Even the less than ideal images posted make it obvious that your 1937 nickel isn’t a Proof. But suit yourself. I’d wish you luck, but luck isn’t going to transform your nickel into a Proof.

Whether the OP or otherwise, you have no obligation to reply to any posts.

It was never my intention to represent my '37 buffalo nickel as a proof.  It is not. But it is a nice example.  I just reviewed some price information and see a value of $20. for an "uncirculated coin." What the range is, I don't know but regardless of value, I would like to send it to you to do with it what you like. 

3 hours ago, rocket23 said:

23 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

If what you've opined is true, and I implicitly trust the verdict of a highly revered member, I would be honored to offer the OP my own uncertified 1937 Buffalo (in slendid condition) which I was prepared to use as my last free grading credit until I apparently forfeited it when, with two months left to go, I declined to renew my membership ATS and my free credit was unceremoniously clawed back with no notice to me, and both my user name and password were stricken from the records.  I will post my nickel here, obverse and release, and if it meets with both the OP's and congregations' approval -- I will post it to you without delay free of charge. 20210219_183428.thumb.jpg.d1ace5b5047e40a9f08762798dccc372.jpg20210219_184112.thumb.jpg.33024185c2c70e6f3b741fa986914ca4.jpg

[VIEWERS:  I have re-taken the above photos which I believe will meet the cropping standards of Coinbuf, Just Bob, VKurtB et al. Look for them, and render your verdict accordingly.]

On 2/19/2021 at 11:08 AM, rocket23 said:

and 

IMG-1114.jpg

IMG-1113.jpg

On 2/19/2021 at 6:57 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Icharge. 20210219_183428.thumb.jpg.d1ace5b5047e40a9f08762798dccc372.jpg20210219_184112.thumb.jpg.33024185c2c70e6f3b741fa986914ca4.jpg

These are the two that went off to annacs for grading, I appreciate all the reply's We should know in 3-4 weeks when the results come back, keep in mind these were a feebee's the grading was free. A special thank you @Quintus Arrius This guys rocks!! 

5 hours ago, rocket23 said:

Here are the results a 2 part grading as it were, one part penny by me and one part nickel by @Quintus Arrius. Really nice coins worthy of grading.

IMG-1146.thumb.jpg.53c4fac55202e22f73d16afccb3fc4c4.jpgIMG-1145.thumb.jpg.f864d8bbaedcaf00964c600cb10e4577.jpg

You've held this coin in your hand. My only regret is its overpowering original luster and brilliance are muted by the encapsulation.  I know I still have something special hidden in a book or cranny somewhere; when I find, it's yours. Strictly a gift;.no reciprocation necessary. When I locate it, off it goes first thing Monday morning.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Inadvertent partial spelling.

9 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

You've held this coin in your hand. My only regret is its overpowering original luster and brilliance are muted by the encapsulation. 

As did you my friend,  .....well the pix in the thread ''originally'' do the coin better justice I agree

.an thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

As did you my friend,  .....well the pix in the thread ''originally'' do the coin better justice I agree

.an thanks in advance.

You're very welcome!