• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2007 Utah State Quarters

15 posts in this topic

what first caught my eye was the area directly below the railroad tracks. it appears like there is an inverted mountain range stamped on this coin. If you then look at the  darker photo there appears to beallthje  a discolored area surrounding the stamped image. What could cause this?

13 minutes ago, Brian Rhoades said:

What could cause this?

Trains crossing bridge over lake or very big river with what appears to be mountains in the background being reflected in the lake/river.

Might be from improper polishing of the die to repair a minor surface crack of other damage. However, you'll need two or more to establish it as a die variety and not an incidental defect to this coin. Same for the obverse.

There is likely little or no added value unless a lot of identical pieces are located, and then if the variety were accepted in something like the Cherrypicker's Guide. If you have rolls of the Utah quarters, it might be worth checking.

What you are seeing is not all that unusual and can be caused by improper metal flow from a weak strike, or as noted from improper die lapping.  If you like it hang onto it but I doubt that this would ever be considered a variety.

To be a variety, that would have to be on the working hub that created the working dies. If this was the case, there would hundreds of thousands of them struck so they should be easy to find. If it was caused by Die Polishing, it would not be a variety as that is an acceptable part of minting.

So I am to understand that a possible one of a kind would hold no additional value    As a newbie this seems counterintuitive to  what I would want to find but.being new t o collecting I don't know what makes a coin valuable or not. Can you further explain why this would add no value?

What leads you to believe you have a one-of-a-kind?   If what you have was caused by the die lapping process it will not be the only one made, there will be many.  The same is true if the issue was on the working hub, again there will be many.  If it was caused be a weak strike/insufficient metal flow that is more of a quality control issue and as long as it falls within the mint's quality tolerance it would not be considered an error, just poor quality.   If I take a coin right off the press and strike it several times with a hammer it is now a one-of-a-kind, but that does not make it valuable.

Didn't mean to imply it was one of a kind, just did not understand the process or what can be considered a minting error vs an acceptable coin. So to help me understand, a weak strike causing an irregular coin, weather it be 1 or 10,000+is different than a cut planchet which would be one of a kind due to a minting error. Not arguing just want to gain knowledge from more experienced people. I appreciate all the input from everyone as I learn the rop es of this hobby. I can see if this  was a weak strike that there may not be another similar to it. This makes more sense to me than a mispolished die.For my information how different does a coin have to be to be considered an error? Value or lack of for this coin is irrelevant justdon't ant to waste  your time in the future for regualr coins.. Thanks all for your input!

Its not easy to explain in a few sentences, book have been written on mint errors.  But in a nutshell a mint error happens in a few places; first when the dies are created.   As the working hub and/or dies are made, this is how true double dies were created in the past.  The working dies were hubbed twice which allowed for the occasional opportunity for a second offset impression to be made into the working die.  Once the mint went to the single squeeze method that error possibility was almost completely eliminated, I say almost as its still possible in the single squeeze to get a bit of movement and get a very minorly doubled effect.

Second are the errors that happen at the time the coin is struck, things like strike through's (grease or cloth etc), clips, broadstrikes, those all happen at the time of coining.   And third are planchet errors like roller marks, and laminations.

Things like incomplete strikes can fall under either poor quality or as an error depending on what caused it to happen.  When you have missing letters or details due to grease or another foreign matter that prevents a full strike that is an error, some are very minor some are significant.   When you have a weak strike that comes from too low of press pressure, a planchet that is a touch too thin, or a die that has been lapped improperly or too often those are just poor quality control issues.  Given the massive quantity that each mint coins it would be impossible to QC each and every coin that is produced, so coins are randomly checked and as such poor quality examples make it out into circulation.  Circling back to your coin its my opinion that it presents as more of a poor strike/QC issue than any type of error, however I have been wrong before so I could be here.