• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Title search on NGC slabs..

8 posts in this topic

Is there a way to do title searches on NGC slabbed coins to find out how many have been graded.. Computers can do amazing searches these days.. An example I am looking for are error or variety coins such as this one.. 

Screenshot_20210210-181452_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, RWB said:

Only if the data exists and you have access.

Well the data would exist on the slab information sticker so a computer should be able to spit out a total number for a given coin..

15 minutes ago, errorist said:

Well the data would exist on the slab information sticker so a computer should be able to spit out a total number for a given coin..

As @RWB said only if there is a database of that information already established which you have access to, this is the problem I think you will have in executing a successful search.   Sure that info is somewhere in the memory banks of the TPG's computers but you don't have access to those files.   I really don't see what you will gain from this exercise anyway, many (if not most) examples of errors are not certified so there is no data to search for.

13 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

.... many (if not most) examples of errors are not certified so there is no data to search for.

This is a curious comment coming from someone with arguably one of the finest collection of a single type of coin, billions of which have been produced, and a statistically insignificant number of which have undergone certification. The truth is the entire universe comprised of all coins lies in uncharted waters and we are only beginning to understand what it is we did not even know existed before the discoveries of caches, vaults, hoards and shipwrecks. 

12 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

As @RWB said only if there is a database of that information already established which you have access to, this is the problem I think you will have in executing a successful search.   Sure that info is somewhere in the memory banks of the TPG's computers but you don't have access to those files.   I really don't see what you will gain from this exercise anyway, many (if not most) examples of errors are not certified so there is no data to search for.

It is unclear how much label information is retained by any TPG. Do they retain everything plus all the metadata indefinitely? Further, there is likely a large percentage of coins of a specific variety or error type for which no label information exists.

It might be more productive to scan digitized auction catalogues from NNP for key words relating to errors....at least it's a starting point.

A good start would be a search of proof die crack which has been printed on many of my holders.. Different dates and denominations could also narrow it down. NGC should offer this service..