• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to tell if this is Legit?

14 posts in this topic

According to the bar code it is, you may view info @ https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/  ...also NGC has a very nice app to assist in these matters also, great when viewing auction both live and the internet.
A reverse image always helps when asking these questions but from Obverse side you have yourself a very nice ASE.
Always a beautiful coin.

Thanks guys. allow me to get brutally specific. If a rapscalion were to create 100's of these (or thousands) using the exact same cert number or even different legitimate numbers; how would one tell? How do i know this is legit and not a fake with a legit number?

EDIT: Here is a thought. If more then one person puts in the same cert number does NGC detect it?

Edited by Giant-JunK

If you put a cert # in and it is already registered to someone else, it will make you wait 72 hrs and they will email the current owner to see if they have sold it or what not. If everything goes ok the # will be transfered to you. That is if you are in the registry.

Edited by Lem E

11 minutes ago, Giant-JunK said:

Thanks guys. allow me to get brutally specific. If a rapscalion were to create 100's of these (or thousands) using the exact same cert number or even different legitimate numbers; how would one tell? How do i know this is legit and not a fake with a legit number?

EDIT: Here is a thought. If more then one person puts in the same cert number does NGC detect it?

Although I personally think your ASE is 100% legit you can go through the Catalog search  https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/  and view images to help you decide if it's legit or not. I myself am still learning but look at every nook and cranny and compare to samples given both here other top TPGs. If you are able to have the coin/slab in hand look for marks along where the seam is. Don't hesitate to take a pic of the coin w/camera and explode the view to see it better.

As far as the COA, the coin from the mint comes with one but when it is sent in to be graded, they will toss the coa and the mint packaging unless you request and pay a fee to send it back. Most of the time if you buy a slabbed coin from ebay or wherever, u will not get any of that.

" If a rapscalion were to create 100's of these (or thousands) using the exact same cert number or even different legitimate numbers; how would one tell?."

Sister Maria Thumbsquat from the Abby of St. Rapscallion and Latter Day Onions will know. She will come over and whack their knuckles, that's what'll happen.  ;)

Got it. Reading the blurb on this coin; it appears that these coins had to be purchased at the world fair of currency, or whatever is was, in Chicago in 2015. Then the coin could be taken, with receipt, to the NGC booth and be able to get submitted and this label is what you got.  That is what the NGC site says about it anyways.

In a scenario like the above mentioned I wonder how many PF 70's were produced/Graded/certified? Think I paid about $55 for it 4-5 years ago. I bet its worth millions by now. hehe

Edited by Giant-JunK

On 2/5/2021 at 7:36 PM, Giant-JunK said:

. Are these supposed to have any type of cert of authenticity?

Nope, that's what the label on the slab is supposed to be.  There is nothing really special about this coin other than the fact that it is a 70, and that it was submitted for grading at the 2015 ANA.

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

Nope, that's what the label on the slab is supposed to be.  There is nothing really special about this coin other than the fact that it is a 70, and that it was submitted for grading at the 2015 ANA.

Not to cast aspersions on the 2015 ANA, of course. There were no show releases to compare with the 2014 gold Kennedy half fiasco, and NGC wanted to keep the ball rolling on show labels, so you could get any of several mint products in a show slab. My personal fave is/was the 2017 enhanced uncirculated set in show slabs, from the Denver ANA, site of my first Class win in the exhibits.