• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colony Coin Co.

12 posts in this topic

I know this is a longshot, but does anyone happen to have a copy of the November (8th and 9th) 1968 Colony Coin Co auction catalog? A “Colony Coin Co” still exists in Newtonville Massachusetts, but I am unsure if it is the same company. I have searched online with little luck, and this is a last-ditch effort. I have a couple of coins that have retained their original auction slips, and I was hoping to see if the auctioneer provided any information beyond what I already know. Any assistance would be much appreciated! 

That's unusual. But you might check the same search on Internet Archive. Their search engine finds things that the NNP one does not. [Also, use the "Loon" function not the "Look" function - one is a beloved Canadian bird and the other is a defunct popular magazine. ;) Neither work very well on NNP.]

Edited by RWB

2 hours ago, DWLange said:

Same company, but almost certainly later owners. There are very few coin dealers still active since 1968.

Yeah, I think maybe Stacks (whose name has changed with additions/subtractions) comes to mind as a survivor from 1968.  Maybe some LCS that changed hands from the parents to the kids but not many of the national firms.

Someone should do a Geneology Thread on the big dealers from the 1960's or 1970's...names I've come across in reading books:  Paramount....Superior.....Gillio.....Manfred Tordella Brookes....etc....etc.

Heck, even having a list from a FUN show in the 1960's should be fascinating to look at and see who was there 50-60 years ago.  Even maybe from the 1980's.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 2/6/2021 at 7:03 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Yeah, I think maybe Stacks (whose name has changed with additions/subtractions) comes to mind as a survivor from 1968.  Maybe some LCS that changed hands from the parents to the kids but not many of the national firms.

Someone should do a Geneology Thread on the big dealers from the 1960's or 1970's...names I've come across in reading books:  Paramount....Superior.....Gillio.....Manfred Tordella Brookes....etc....etc.

Heck, even having a list from a FUN show in the 1960's should be fascinating to look at and see who was there 50-60 years ago.  Even maybe from the 1980's.

[Come to think of it, I can recall Gimbel's department store at Herald Square had a small coin counter on its first floor in the early 1960s.]

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I believe it was located underneath an escalator. My book about Library of Coins albums covers the subject in some depth, since the publisher of those albums was also the operator of the many department store stamp and coin franchises.

[I believe it fair to say -- particularly in the midst of a quietly raging, full-blown pandemic, that were it not for the internet, many more brick-and-mortar concerns, already struggling in a tight market with slim profit margins, would have closed their doors for good.  Many of us have been fortunate enough to have lived long enough to witness great moments in numismatic history play out before us with our own eyes. And I truly believe better days are yet to come.]

The mystery is solved! With a helpful nudge from a fellow forum member, I spoke with an amiable and helpful gentleman from Colony Coin Co. today. Much to my surprise, he located a copy of the original auction catalog from 1968. Unfortunately, the descriptions provided no new information beyond what I already knew.