• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2009-S 1$ Zackary Taylor DDR "Doubled Lip Liberty"
1 1

6 posts in this topic

So I kind of got away from some of the books I've been reading, decided to look at some sets I have. I came across this set I've been checking out. It seems to be doubling around liberty's face, but not for sure. It's interesting and pretty cool. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. 

20210202_183508.jpg

20210202_183246.jpg

20210202_183713.jpg

I don't know the pres dollar series at all as I don't collect moderns, however double die coins are highly unlikely under the current US mint single squeeze method of creating dies.   As a guess it looks like some form die chip or even a light reflection from the plastic holder but not at all like a DDR which would be even more unlikely on a proof than a business strike.   

Thanks Coinbuf, I know there only one press die after certain years on modern coin. But how is it they can call a 84,88 cents double ears when they are one press dies. Also your 2009 double finger. Clearly from what I'm learning, is that would be called plating bubble for it to look like that. These dollar coin have like 88% copper and like 7% zinc. I'm trying to learn better on line and some books about mechanical doubling, and one press dies which the dies are bouncing while being struck. And how rpms aren't after certain years . When there not hand punched anymore. Just not understanding, certain ones could be called one thing but other ones can't be called as being seen. I found a 2000-D quarter that has doubling in GOD we trust,  but i know that it's machine doubling. But they have one on Ebay as a DDO. Mine looks more legit than that one. I'm still learning ,still love doing this and hunting for any good one's that might be out there. 

Doubled dies are possible with the single-squeeze method. They are almost always in the center of the die/coin.

Here is a excerpt from Wexler's:

When the Mint introduced the single-squeeze hubbing presses on a trial basis around 1985, and then to produce working dies at Denver and Philadelphia in 1996 and 1997, it had hoped to eliminate doubling produced during the hubbing process.  Unfortunately for the Mint, this did not result and minor doubled dies are actually being produced more frequently on the new single-squeeze hubbing presses than they were on the older multiple-squeeze hubbing presses.

We believe that we know the reason for this.  In the older multiple-squeeze hubbing presses the hub was fixed to the top of the hubbing chamber for the first hubbing.  When it descended down into the face of the die it couldn’t move as it made contact with the die as it was locked into the top of the hubbing chamber.

In the single-squeeze hubbing presses the set up is different.  The die blank is placed into the well of a collar placed in the bottom of the hubbing chamber.  The hub is also placed into the well of the collar so that the face of the hub is resting on the conical point of the top of the die blank.  Since the diameter of the well in the collar has to exceed the diameter of the die blank and the hub (so that the die blank and hub can be inserted into and removed from the collar, and so that the hub can be pushed downward into the die), there is “play” in the collar well.  It allows for some horizontal movement between the hub and the die when the hubbing process begins.  There is even the possibility of some rotational movement.  It also allows for the hub to be tilted with respect to the die prior to the start of the hubbing since it is sitting unrestrained on top of the die blank in the collar well.

Since the hub is slightly tilted at the time the hubbing begins, as it is pushed down into the collar well and into the die blank it will be forced into a more vertical alignment in the collar well.  If there is some resistance to the vertical realignment when the hubbing begins, it may snap back into proper alignment at some point as the hubbing proceeds.  Hubbing press operators have described a “clunking sound” that is heard when the hub snaps back into proper alignment.  When this happens, there will be a misalignment between the image formed prior to the hub snapping into alignment and the image formed after the snap.  The result is doubling.  Because the hub is not fixed to the top of the hubbing chamber as it was in the multiple-squeeze hubbing presses, the movements resulting from the “play” in the well of the hubbing chamber seem to occur frequently producing minor doubled dies.

Edited by Just Bob

So I found this article, and both positions A&B are common on business strikes. But proof sets are different. My scope didn't want to comply but I did the best I can trying  to show heads side up with upside down lettering. If this article is true then do i might have something. Just wondering thanks. 

20210225_113739.jpg

20210225_110709.jpg

"Liberty" is pouting because she does not like the crude, sloppy "frosting" applied to her face by the old laser.