• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sending in $ 20 gold coins

11 posts in this topic

Hello; how do i send in gold coins I have had for 50 years ? I have had these two 1921 and two 1927-D  plus other date for a total of 40 $20 double eagle gold , from my grand mother when she worked at philly mint from 1920-30, I talked with Bob Marino from Heritage auction , i think i can trust him to handle my gold coins, or  should i just send in a few at a time? are they graded like other coin by the price of each coin?  Thank You

I would think the first thing to be done is get an opinion of condition/authenticity of the coins, posting a few pics of the 21's & 27-D's, would be a good start. If those are legit, oh baby! In general if your planning on selling them and consigning to an auction house, yes, I would let them take care of it for you. Some will have the coins certified at no cost to you, I think. If keeping for yourself I would send them all in at one time, you can do this yourself or perhaps have a local coin shop/dealer do it for you. 

There are some top notch Saint's experts here (not me) they can really help you out if you let them. You may have some really great coins there.

3 hours ago, zipiz said:

Hello; how do i send in gold coins I have had for 50 years ? I have had these two 1921 and two 1927-D  plus other date for a total of 40 $20 double eagle gold , from my grand mother when she worked at philly mint from 1920-30, I talked with Bob Marino from Heritage auction , i think i can trust him to handle my gold coins, or  should i just send in a few at a time? are they graded like other coin by the price of each coin?  Thank You

Dealt with Bob Marino 20 years ago.. Great guy...

Recommend you send them to Mr. Marino at Heritage for a preliminary evaluation. If they appear to be authentic, Heritage will prepare a marketing plan and take care of authentication. As you likely already know, 1927-D double eagle is an extremely rare coin.

If you will PM to me your grandmother's name (both before and after marriage) I can check her employment at the Philadelphia Mint. (As the author of the standard book on Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles, I'd be pleased to work with the OP and Heritage following evaluation.)

Edited by RWB

One bit of information that might not yet be 100% clear to you is that if an auction house is offered the coins, they typically handle sending them in to be slabbed/graded/authenticated. This gives you several advantages. First of all, they get faster treatment; I won't editorialize on that, but let's just say that most businesses in this world will prioritize their highest volume customers and that would include the auction houses. Second, they get whatever discount they get, which means you get that discount. Third, it means you don't have to fool around with learning how to do it. They probably send in many coins per day and they certainly know how to do it correctly, which if you did it on your own, you would have to learn and be worried about doing it wrong.

Your greatest risk is the possibility that some or all might be returned as not authentic; that some might get details grades (such as AU, cleaned or EF, damaged) rather than straight numeric AU-50 or EF-45. You should at least brace for some of this. The truth is what it is and this is how you learn the truth (or at least the truth through the eyes of a highly experienced evaluator). This is why people buy from auction houses: they expect to be able to take authenticity on faith. This is not possible on Ebay, for example.

Don't be shocked if they do not list all your coins at once. Flooding the market is rarely to your advantage pricewise. They typically decide on timing and you should keep an open mind about it, bearing in mind that their goal is to obtain the highest bidding for your coins, that yours aren't the only ones on auction at any given time, and that they've got a lot of experience with this.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:07 AM, zipiz said:

WOW thank you all for info !!! and cleaning coins never! i was thought by and old coin dealer when i started back in 1970 NEVER CLAEN ANY COINS!!! always hold them by the end and with gloves! Bob wanted pics so im off to the bank when the snow clears , just got a very nice high res. cameras for my silver sales on ebay etc

You can be sure that all of us are hoping these are genuine and in top condition. We get so many posters on here who have to be told that their "priceless coins" are nothing special. It would be great to see someone win big, for a change. Keep us informed, please.

Hmmmm....How many 1927-D double eagles were made in chocolate? Will they be authenticated as "Genuine" or as "Snacks?"