• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is true ??

11 posts in this topic

You did not specify which type of coin that you are asking about, but  I am going to take a stab in the dark and say it is a MS69 (not proof69) silver American Eagle. These bullion coins were minted in San Fransisco from 1986 - 1998.

I was referring to the 1986 MS69 Bullion, The Mega Redbook (6th Edition) has it and more being minted in Philadelphia not San Francisco. Even the 1987 MS69 Bullion coin, Again has it being minted in Philly not San Fran, The Redbook has 1986 to 1999 minted in Philly. I just wanted check on the discrepancy. I appreciate your help.

29 minutes ago, Daniel Reimer said:

I was referring to the 1986 MS69 Bullion, The Mega Redbook (6th Edition) has it and more being minted in Philadelphia not San Francisco. Even the 1987 MS69 Bullion coin, Again has it being minted in Philly not San Fran, The Redbook has 1986 to 1999 minted in Philly. I just wanted check on the discrepancy. I appreciate your help.

Unmintmarked ASE’s are not mint-specific once they are separated from the monster box. The mint does not supply a location of striking. 

1 hour ago, DWLange said:

NGC's Coin Explorer lists the mint at which they were made:

DW  isnt it true that you really dont know what mint they were made at unless you have the box number?   in the early days i think they were made at both and in some years even made at West Point?

4 hours ago, DWLange said:

Yes, in some years, all were made at the same mint, and which one is easy to know. Not so in others. To me, unless the mint puts a mint mark on the coin, I regard it as meaningless, just like 1965-1967 circulating coins. 

Edited by VKurtB

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

In response to a Freedom of Information request the U. S. Mint recently published a list of which mints coined the ASE in each year. This list was used to update Explorer's listings.

14 hours ago, DWLange said:

In response to a Freedom of Information request the U. S. Mint recently published a list of which mints coined the ASE in each year. This list was used to update Explorer's listings.

So was the millennium Eagle minted in West point?