• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017-S $1 Native American lamination error
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Recently purchased a 225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set and found what appears to be a lamination error.
What is the Universes opinion on grading, keeping in Mint packaging, and lastly value?

IMG_1378.jpg

Looks like a piece of plastic on top. I'd leave it as is, not dramatic enough to pull a significant premium. IMO 

If that is a piece of plastic on top don't loose it, remove it or throw it away.

Nice find.

It is/was a retained struck through and the piece moved and I retained it see new pic.

Is there any more advice on what to do with this coin, normally I would just treat it as a struck through, but I have never seen this on a proof enhanced coin before.

WIN_20210125_16_50_01_Pro.jpg

I don't know what to make of this in light of the Mint's supposed exacting standards, but two words come to mind: blasphemous and/or sacrilegious. On strikes for public circulation this would not surprise me, but on the numismatic line, collectors are entitled to near perfection. As is well-known, I have a problem with so-called "errors."  Particularly manufactured ones involving substitutions of hubs, etc.  (And this extends to currency.  I would not pay a cent over the face value of that "Del Monte" sticker error.) And the only doubled-die I personally recognize is the '55 Lincoln.

On 1/25/2021 at 2:58 PM, trenier said:

Recently purchased a 225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set and found what appears to be a lamination error.
What is the Universes opinion on grading, keeping in Mint packaging, and lastly value?

IMG_1378.jpg

I believe the entire membership knows I have the utmost regard for VKurtB's observations even when off-hand, off-color or perhaps ill-advised and unhelpful, but the OP has specifically addressed his query to the Universe and how it feels about grading (to me, it remains as labelled) keeping it in original Mint packaging (I say, yes) and value beyond its issue price (made problematic by the distraction).  Surely there are on-lookers with both the experience and expertise who can offer insight into this matter. Where do my most ardent fans, my Army of Ignorers -- reduced by one to 21 by Idhair's recent reply to my comment on his thread -- stand on this?  Where are all the people who've encountered this type of intrusion before. And where, oh where is MAULEMALL?