• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Canada $20 dollar coin Variant?

12 posts in this topic

Hello, I know about that two coins from the 1967 Canada set, There is the gold one. Then there is the gold plated silver one used in sets sold into the United Sates due to trade restrictions. Now I have come across a bronze one? I cannot seem to find any reference to this one. Can anyone help? Thanks

IMG_20210122_164826_2.jpg

IMG_20210122_164851_2.jpg

Thanks for the replies, I have only read about them being gold plated silver not bronze, the one gold plated on I have weighs 26.9 g where the other weighs 24.6 g. I do not think gold playing would weigh 2.3g? IS that possible?

The only ones I know of were gold plated bronze with a weight of 24.8g which would make more sense if the gold was removed.

These were manufactured as an advertising token  for Sudbury. If there were gold plated silver ones made, they would be ones I have never seen or heard about. Possibly as you say they are for the US market.

Sets were imported to the US without the $20 gold. The pieces illustrated by the OP would qualify as counterfeit coins under Canadian and US law, not medals regardless of their composition.

original 1967 canadian proof sets were made n issued with $20 gold coins n sold as such in canada, sets ordered for shipment to the states were shipped without the gold $20, there were tokens made for sudbury that closely resemble the original $20 gold coin but those have the centennial lettering n sudbury designation below the crest as shown in the op photographs, these were usually produced in base metal n gold plated there may be some examples struck in silver n gold plated, these were marketed as tokens n would not constitute as being counterfeit coins n were legal items as long as not being misrepresented as the original 1967 $20 gold issues, there were other such tokens issued in 2017 struck in silver n could be ordered with gold plating but those have the double dates of 1967 2017 clearly marked, these were legal issues as well....as far as i am aware there were no issues of the original $20 gold coin struck in silver or any other metals, these if made by any third party, would be illegal issues gold plated or not...the sudbury n the 2017 issues r all legal issues, those presented by the op r legal tokens n not counterfeit coins as they r clearly marked as centennial issues distributed by sudbury, only misrepresentation of these as original 1967 $20 gold coins would constitute an illegal act....as a side note gold plating canadian or united states coins is not illegal as long as misrepresentation is not utilized...for example the gold plating of the 1883 v-nickel was not illegal, passing it as a $5 gold piece was....

12 hours ago, zadok said:

legal items as long as not being misrepresented

Incorrect. How an item is "represented" is immaterial under the counterfeiting laws of both countries. If it looks like a coin (denomination and name of country) but was not issued by the national authority, it is a priori a counterfeit. "Slugs" are also covered by counterfeiting law because they are purposely made to act like a legal coin in mechanical devices.

wrong again roger......section 331 usc 18 clearly defines what is n what isnt a counterfeit, it based on intent to defraud simple as that...not too complex easy to understand....items in question were produced in the US n neither country had any issues with these tokens n neither made any attempt to prohibit production or distribution....

to be a bit more precise section 331 would address the issue of plating coins or tokens...section 485 would address the intent to defraud aspect...both would apply to the tokens being discussed...

Thanks for the great discussion, I changed my search parameter to token and I was able to find some info on numista, It references it as a gold plated token, with a weight of 24.8 g Which is close to my bronze token, and was mentioned by Greenstang. I also found a silver version on worthpoint. I still have no luck finding a bronze one, But I suppose it was an option at some point.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:43 PM, Callinectes said:

Thanks for the replies, I have only read about them being gold plated silver not bronze, the one gold plated on I have weighs 26.9 g where the other weighs 24.6 g. I do not think gold playing would weigh 2.3g? IS that possible?

Hi - I have an unplated one. It does not appear tampered with. It weighs on my cheap scales 23.79 . I have a beauty in gold plate weighs 24,44 - accounting for only .5 g for the plating. - hope that helps a bit. It would appear some were released without the plating. A collecting curiosity for sure. The weights are all over the place, Anyone else weigh their gold plated one?