• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2006 D Penny DDO & DDR?

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a couple of coins that I’m hoping to get some feedback and guidance on. I’ll submit them separately, since I know I write a lot, and I don’t want to make the post too long. The first is one that I think is a DDO that is a little offset, so it looks like Lincoln has two eyeballs that are stacked on top of each other. At first, I was just taking pics of the reverse to submit because that was listed in the “do’s” for submitting questions, but it appears the coin is also a DDR, or possibly even struck more than twice because I see doubling going both directions. I guess my questions with this coin are:

1. Am I looking at this correctly, or is there something in the lighting or the way the pics appear that causes doubling that isn’t really there? I say this because the reverse doubling is clearly visible in some pics, but not in others, and because if the doubling is going in two different directions, that would seem like it’s a triple dye. I know it happens, but I don’t know enough to believe that’s what I’m looking at with an inexperienced eye, and I don’t have a real scope for coins, though the magnifier on the iPhone X is pretty amazing. 
  2. I’m also wondering if there are error coins that just haven’t been found and made official or how does that work? I’ve looked into the 2006 D, and while there seem to be a couple DDO coins to look for, this one doesn’t seem to match any of them, (I don’t think), though the pit by the earlobe matches, the eyes weren’t mentioned as an indicator to look for, and none were DDO and DDR. 
  3. And of course, the obvious that everyone wants to know - what would the coin be worth if I’m not mistaking. I would send it to be graded and auction it. 

Thanks in advance, and I’ll submit my other one tomorrow, since it’s late and I’m tired. 

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3550 (1) 1.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

So in the order you have listed, I do not see a double eye.  I see no signs of any doubling that would other than strike doubling, the die may have been a tiny fraction off center which resulted in the thin rim.  However that is well within the mint tolerance and at least some portion of the design would need to be missing to be an error.  The area under the eye has a pronounced circle and might be an area of the die that had some grease that filled the die there.  Interesting but not a significant error as it would be almost impossible to attribute why that area of the design did not fully strike up and grease filled dies are very common and again within the mint's tolerance in the coining process.   The area behind Abe's head just looks like a hit or mark from another coin.

To the reverse; again the "O" of one and "T" of cent are just strike doubling and has no numismatic value.  A true double die coin will show doubling everywhere not on just one or two  letters.   The columns look like that, its part of the design of the reverse nothing unusual no doubling, no value.

The only thing on this coin that is out of the ordinary or unusual is the area under the eye which might be a grease strike thru, I find these to be very minor and insignificant and hold no value for myself.  But there are a few folks that might pay a slight bit for the coin, maybe a few bucks if you can find the right person.  However it would cost you $40+ to have the coin certified (and there is no guarantee that any TPG will consider or label this a mint error) so an interesting coin to hold if you like or spend; your choice.

You will be $39.99 in the hole if you send this coin for authentication and "grading." Plus --- the more you send, the more you will loose.

;)