• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I unwrap my new Metal Detector...

36 posts in this topic

Take it to the backyard just to see if it works and 5 minutes later, 1862 Italy 5 Centesimi 893whatthe.gif

f3f1d778.jpg

What the heck??? I gotta get in on this metal detector thing. But honestly, I'm afraid people will think I'm a complete dork if they see me walking around with a metal detector blush.gif

What the heck??? I gotta get in on this metal detector thing. But honestly, I'm afraid people will think I'm a complete dork if they see me walking around with a metal detector blush.gif
I feel the same way.

Yeah, that's what everyone thought about the jerk who found a fortune in Spanish silver after Hurricane Frances last year. I wouldn't be caught dead with one! On the other hand, it sure beats the "Sanibel Stoop"!

Chris

PS. TJ! The salesman was wondering how long it would take you to find it. Unfortunately, he screwed up. Now, he's just hoping the other customer in Italy won't be too confused when he digs up the 1868 5 Centavos from Mexico. 27_laughing.gif

PS. TJ! The salesman was wondering how long it would take you to find it. Unfortunately, he screwed up. Now, he's just hoping the other customer in Italy won't be too confused when he digs up the 1868 5 Centavos from Mexico. 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif

Excellent! What model did you buy?

Hoot

I wouldn't worry. People think you are a complete dork anyway. poke2.gif

I wouldn't worry. People think you are a complete dork anyway. poke2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Dug this at a scraped vacant lot here in San Jose. 1940-S Half! headbang.gif

f3eeab75.jpgf3eeab7b.jpg

When you are metal detecting, do people ever drive by and laugh at you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not that i am aware of. Once some teenagers threw some pennies ahead of me. I wasn't aware of it til I had found a couple lying on the ground. One was a 1982 and I collect a jar of those 7 varieties so no problem.

Whats the oldest site you have ever hunted? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Earth. I don't know how old it is. I'm guessing several million years.

Oh come on gramps, thats a serious question. To be honest, I have to say its pretty damn cool that you found that half dollar. Whats the oldest item you or Mrs. Jennings has ever found?

Oh come on gramps, thats a serious question. To be honest, I have to say its pretty damn cool that you found that half dollar. Whats the oldest item you or Mrs. Jennings has ever found?

Actually the oldest coin was found yesterday, that 1862 Italian job in my backyard of all places. Oldest American is an 186x IH. We've probably found 20 coins from the 1800's. Most valuable, 1896-S dime. Found a 1899-S Barber half, several Barber dimes, wheats, Mercs, several Chinese cash coins. Only major denom. I haven't found yet is a Stand. Lib. quarter. Will probably do that Tuesday with my new Super Machine.

You are off work tuesday? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm off all week. We will have the old parks to ourselves. cloud9.gif

Taking the Son of Satan with you?

No. Now get off this important thread. Thx®

Hey TJ what kind of detector did you get? I just started detecting. The kids can laugh all day long it won't bother me at all. Especially if they throw money.

buffallofindobverse.jpg

buffalofind.jpg

I found this today. Now I just have to figure out how to clean it up. It has a good readable date on it 1937. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Is this another one that the gladIdidn'tbuyit detector missed? 893whatthe.gif

Cool find! thumbsup2.gif

Once some teenagers threw some pennies ahead of me.

That's funny!

I knew I'd seen that before... Except it wasn't pennies... and I think it was monkeyra and chixon, not teenagers... But that's TJ for sure! 27_laughing.gif

828293-tjfunny2.jpg

828293-tjfunny2.jpg.92e59488e9bd3afadbe0d2afb5f3a8fa.jpg

Hey TJ what kind of detector did you get? I just started detecting. The kids can laugh all day long it won't bother me at all. Especially if they throw money.

buffallofindobverse.jpg

buffalofind.jpg

I found this today. Now I just have to figure out how to clean it up. It has a good readable date on it 1937. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Mel, that's a great find! Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif Buff nickels are rare finds for some reason. To clean it try soap and water, take a toothbrush to it. There's a lot of recipes for cleaning coins from sudsy ammonia, soaking in lowgrade olive oil, to an electrolysis setup, etc etc.

My detector is a Fisher CZ-70.

I owned a detector about 6 years ago...never found anything good so I sold it. Then last year I decided I just couldn't live without one so I bought a White's MXT and I have used it 1 time in the past 12-months.

I like searching....but I just haven't had the time to go out hunting....and I live in Florida so when the stroms hit...I could have easily gone over to Sebastian Inlet and searched for the Spanish treasure foreheadslap.gif

It takes a lot of patients...which I don't always have....but I have a good machine so when the time is right...I'll go out hunting again 893applaud-thumb.gif

No great coin finds today. Today we went bottle-digging. They're building a shopping center on top of a turn-of-the-century dump. Actually this dump is filled with debris from the 1906 earthquake. Unfortunately 98% of what you find is broken, but we did find some nice intact bottles, ceramics, etc. The little white things on the left are bottle stoppers. One bottle says "Dr. Kilman's Swamp Root." Here's a pic of some of the stuff...

f3e9e176.jpg