• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC conservation? toning versus tarnish

7 posts in this topic

hello again,  i have some nicer peace dollars that i am wondering if conservation would help.  they are not what i would consider "toned" but are just starting to turn darker and not white.  I can see the luster but just sort of a grey haze.  Is this considered toning or tarnish?  thanks

Without a photo its impossible to answer your question, there are a number of possibilities which run the gamut from improper storage to coins that may have been improperly dipped, or doctored and are now changing.   Just from you description I'm leaning towards an improper dip and the dip residue has started to appear, but that is just a guess.  If that is the case then I would say that you could see excellent results from the conservation process offered by NGC.  However if what your seeing is a result of strong environmental conditions like high humidity and heat that your storage methods are not mitigating then I'm not certain that NGC would do anything as that would be considered natural toning.   Again photos would help to give you any truly meaningful opinions, but at the end of the day it is up to the pros at NGC to make an in hand determination on what if anything they can do. 

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Toning and tarnish are the same thing, toning is just "pretty" tarnish.

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Toning and tarnish are the same thing, toning is just "pretty" tarnish.

Or tarnish is just ugly toning.😉